PDA

View Full Version : Should I dump all I've gotten the past few days?

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
02-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Not sure if I should go and empty all my bags. They all have a quart or 2 in them, but I'm sure it's all bad. I don't want it tainting the next run when it happens. Do those of you who have buckets dump them all out with this sort of weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billyinvt
02-25-2017, 09:04 PM
If it's really cloudy, or stinky, dump it. I went out early this morning and emptied all my buckets and boiled everything in the tank right away so I'd have fresh sap when it runs again next week.

Sugarmaker
02-26-2017, 09:23 AM
If it still smells ok you can boil it. Will probably make some darker syrup. Once the buckets are contaminated the next sap will be less than clear too. If you want to get back to the best sap you would have to clean the buckets too.
I gathered some sap that was green and cloudy on Friday night and it made 9 gallons of great tasting Dark Robust syrup. I did dump the sap that remained in the collection stations after I gathered.
Your doing good.
Regards,
Chris

buckeye gold
02-26-2017, 10:57 AM
Yes I would dump them. If they are really bad I take a tank of hot water out and rinse the bags and wash out the buckets.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
02-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I was very surprised, a few had some brown sap but most had clear cool sap and it smelled fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk