PDA

View Full Version : Old Dairy Pumps

MaplePancakeMan
04-08-2007, 10:52 AM
just wondering, i got a line on an old dairy farm switching pumps over. Wanted to know what i should expect for prices on pumps? Please let me know any info you can give me.
Steve

royalmaple
04-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Steve-

Ask the guy what he wants for them. Then post and we can tell you if prices are inline or not.

If they are changing over pumps might pay a little more than one that has been out of service for a while. But ask and let us know. Tell him you got to think about it. Get the make and model number as well.

Like Delaval 75 for example.

Russell Lampron
04-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Steve,

Do you have a buyer of bulk syrup in your area? If so find out how they are paying for commercial syrup. I sold 10 gallons of it for $1.50 lb last summer and got $175.00 for it. It is a good way to pay for supplies.

Russ

MaplePancakeMan
04-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Does Bud syrup count as commercial?

tuckermtn
04-08-2007, 03:26 PM
MPM- let me know what you find out on pumps...I am considering going to a regular vac. system (as opposed to the sapsucker I'm using now) and would like to know what prices are...

and if there are more pumps than you need, I would be interested in possibly buying one...

cheers-

tuckermtn

MaplePancakeMan
04-08-2007, 03:32 PM
will do, i had heard they were changing 40 pumps, but if thats true or not i will not know til i get out there and see. Also some may have been disposed of already they should have a few though atleast i'm hoping so.

paul
04-09-2007, 05:46 AM
maplepancakeman we bought a7.5hp massport vac. pump at a farm auction last year. it came complete with motor and oil reclaimer for 200.00. we sold the oilreclaimer for 200.00 as we already had one. we put about 250.00 into rebuilding the pump, machining, bearings and new vanes. we are pulling 21"of vac. it was well worth it. you have to expect to rebuild a dairy pump. most dairy farmers just do`nt take very good care of them. the one we got had soda bottles hanging from the ceiling for oilers.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
04-10-2007, 12:04 AM
that sure was an interesting farm wasn't it, paul? HAHAHA and yes...I'd definately agree with rebuilding dairy pumps. Atleast go through and clean real good if they're still in good shape, but most likely they'll need a little tlc.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
04-10-2007, 12:08 AM
that sure was an interesting farm wasn't it, paul? HAHAHA and yes...I'd definately agree with rebuilding dairy pumps. Atleast go through and clean real good if they're still in good shape, but most likely they'll need a little tlc. remember that we(sugarmakers') ask a LOT more out of those pumps than farmers. I know they run them for YEARS, but it's only for a few hrs. at a time at 15ish inches. We tend to run them more inches and for days non-stop...which is not their original intention, so the fresher they are, the better they'll perform/and keep cool!

paul
04-10-2007, 05:39 AM
that was a great farm ryan, we both got great deals. you had to work harder then i did but it was well worth it. you got a great bulk tank out of it. we`ve been useing a 3hp pump we got from ben four years ago and that pump still work good. can`t get 21" out of it but 13"-15" is better than no inches.

Russell Lampron
04-10-2007, 05:42 AM
My old Delaval 73 has been working overtime for me this year. I hate to think of where I would be without it. The only thing I have done to the pump itself is clean the muck out of the reservoir under it. I have been using Dexron ATF in it to keep it clean and cool and have been pulling 18" without a problem. They don't make vanes for the 73's anymore so I would have to have some custom made if I broke one. I haven't dared to take that part of it apart.

Russ