PDA

View Full Version : Tan sap.

Tapline
02-25-2017, 10:37 AM
I collected sap last night and the sap was tan colored, and it still tasted good. My question is should I dump it or boil it and if I boil it will it make my batch darker? It was only 12 gallons of sap and it will be mixing with about 150 gallons of sap.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

treehugger89
02-25-2017, 11:07 AM
Did any rain water get into the sap?

Mille705
02-25-2017, 11:49 AM
We dumped about 150 gallons this morning out of buckets in the woods. We collected last Monday and should have looked a it Tuesday or Wednesday I guess. Tasted fine, no smell but was starting to get cloudy. We did not want to take a chance.

psparr
02-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Cloudy sap can make some mighty fine syrup. If your worried about it, boil it separate. But it is usually fine.

Tapline
02-25-2017, 12:56 PM
I don't think rain got into it. Will it make the rest of the batch dark?

red dorakeen
02-25-2017, 02:16 PM
One of the oldest trees I tap had tan sap the first time I collected from it, it's been clear since.

I don't know why and I'm certain rain wasn't getting into the bucket.

I tossed the tan sap.

Marshalljt
02-25-2017, 08:06 PM
I also found some tan sap in some of my buckets today and pour them out. Is something I have never seen before wish I knew what it was?

Snappyssweets
02-25-2017, 09:18 PM
The tan is likely due to the rains we had.

The rain came down so hard it flowed down the trees. It likely followed the lines down and into the collection. I walked my lines too today and found it in my buckets. Dumped it all. Lucky for me I collected Friday morning. So the only thing in my buckets were water.

Also cloudy sap. If its slight cloudy and yellow tint I still boil it. It makes wonderful syrup. If it smells or is sl cloudy you can not see down into it then yes I would dump it.

Good luck weather looks promising for the next week or so at least.

Sugarmaker
02-26-2017, 09:29 AM
I have a group of 4 big sugar maples on my route that produce tan sap sometime during the season too. Usually after a warm spell. My containers for collection have good tight lids so I know its from the trees not rain water.
With the demand for darker syrup now days I would boil everything you can get.
Regards,
Chris

Millsy
02-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Hey Sugarmaker, Have you ever checked the sugar content in the tan sap? Just wondering if it may possibly be higher.

Galena
02-26-2017, 12:52 PM
I call that stuff tree pee, usually from snow or rain getting in...and yes I boil it up. I only dump sap if it's cloudy, and/or smells bad, funky, swampy etc. If it's clear it gets boiled.

Sugarmaker
02-26-2017, 03:06 PM
Hey Sugarmaker, Have you ever checked the sugar content in the tan sap? Just wondering if it may possibly be higher.

No I guess I never checked it. May have to take a sap hydrometer next time.
Regards,
Chris

c0ps
02-26-2017, 06:03 PM
I was told that tan sap is usually from a tree that has a big knot above your spile. Clears up after the first few hours of dripping.

MJPJ Sugars
02-28-2017, 07:06 PM
I don't think rain got into it. Will it make the rest of the batch dark?

Unlikely -- I typically get some sap on the yellow-side every now and then, doesn't seem to affect anything -- still get lighter syrup early, darker syrup late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk