PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing thoughts

supersapper
02-25-2017, 09:22 AM
I have a 2'x4' sap pan and a 2'x2' syrup pan. Both are flat pans. Three channels in sap pan and four in the front pan. Sap pan they run lengthwise, syrup pan they run crosswise. The back pan hooks to the front pan in the channel next to the back pan and on to the front where I draw from. My problem is the first three channels boil harder than the front channel that I draw from. Should I plumb the back pan to the front of the syrup pan and draw from back port. I would have to have a lot of exposed pipe so I would have enough room for thermometer and draw port to do that.

Paul VT
02-25-2017, 01:09 PM
The hottest part of your front pan is toward the rear pan. That's the best place to draw from.

supersapper
02-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Yes, I can see that when I first start up. The first three channels are boiling well before the front one. It gets alittle hairy until I start to draw. I have to run about 1-1/4"or more to keep enough liquid in the front channel to draw syrup out. Very inconsistent draws with syrup being made in the first part of the pan.

supersapper
03-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Ok so I did the switch today. I used copper instead of stainless. If it works I will change it to stainless.