PDA

View Full Version : SW Wisconsin

lulugrein
02-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Chatter has been minimal from our beautiful driftless region of SW Wisconsin so a new thread is in order:). I'm curious if you've been able to hold off with tapping or on the other hand tapped early and are now calling it quits for the season after the warm spell. I was tempted to tap before the warm up but knew that sap would have spoiled in the buckets between my weekend forays to our land. So, in the mean time, I'm on this site and 3 different weather sites about 3 times a day! Trying hard to spend more money but ultimately am pretty content with my simple operation (cinder block and single flat pan) and keeping it to scale. Last year I produced about 4 gallons. Do hope for at least 5 gallons this year. I'm planning to tap my usual 20-25 trees this Sunday as temps look promising most of next week. Love this version of March Madness!!

Jrunning
02-25-2017, 12:08 PM
We tapped 100 on the 15th and another 120 the 18th, by Tuesday the 21st we had collected 600 gallons... Only about 100 Gallons since. All of our taps are on 3/16 tubing with a lot of drop for good natural vacuum.

Daveya
02-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Tapped the box elders and the silvers . Waiting on the maples for a week and a half. Checked out the accu-weather and it has a 30 day forecast. The maples aren't budding much but the silvers look more active so I thought this made a good plan. Most of my maples are on north facing slopes with snow on the ground even before todays snow. Its a plan, is it a good plan??? who knows.

lulugrein
02-26-2017, 08:51 PM
I tapped 20 trees today in Vernon county. All are on a north facing slope and all except one were running nicely. A beautiful day in the woods.

Mr Sugar Maple
02-26-2017, 09:00 PM
We tapped our 225 today also. some trees have bud swell and others very little. Seems like the large trees were the most advanced. Have fun and take it all in.