PDA

View Full Version : Help! Smoky lake auto draw not responding.

Mitchhorne8
02-24-2017, 07:34 PM
So I'm doing my 1st run with my 1st evaporator and my auto draw isn't responding. The open switch works but that sort of defeats the purpose. It is a 2nd hand simplicity. Any help is welcome. No auto draw, no alarm, but the open switch will work.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

DocsMapleSyrup
02-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Get a hold of Jim at Smoky Lake

Urban Sugarmaker
02-24-2017, 09:23 PM
I don't have a Smoky Lake auto draw but I have their valve that I purchased from them. I have trouble when the valve is cold. It will open but not close until I tap it gently with a hammer and then it's perfect after that. Once it's warm it's never an issue. In fact, a few times I forgot to test it and realized it never sticks when it's warm.

I suspect it's the contacts inside, but totally understand your concern. Try tapping it gently and ALWAYS test cycle it open and closed before boiling.

And, of course contact SL since it's their product. These valves probably come from China but they should help you before any of us. Good luck.

S.S.S
02-24-2017, 10:22 PM
How old of unit is this?

mellondome
02-25-2017, 03:49 AM
If it is a capacitor close type (early SL ) then you will need to leave it powered open for a couple minutes to charge the capacitor so it will close properly ( only charges when valve is open)
If it isnt opening when temp is reached, you may have a pid problem.

maple flats
02-25-2017, 06:16 AM
When you say it won't open, what temps does it show related to your set temperature? They do not activate until they reach .1 above the set point. Are you waiting for that? For example, if you have it set at 219.1 it should open at 219.2 and close when it falls to 219.1. It is exceeding 1/10 above and not opening?

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-25-2017, 06:53 AM
No comment

Mitchhorne8
02-26-2017, 07:37 PM
Sorry everyone. I was buried in sap. But maple flats is correct. I was panicking and worried about burning my pans I was not letting it get one more degree above the set point.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk