PDA

View Full Version : Basic Sap Transfer Pump

Cedar Eater
02-24-2017, 09:56 AM
This is my sap sucker.

I use it to draw sap from 48 qt. coolers that are my collection stations for 3/16" gravity vacuum saplines. I pump the sap into a 35 gallon barrel that rides in my tractor loader bucket. Cheap nylon rope holds everything well enough.

When I get back to house, I raise the bucket up to deck height and pump from the barrel into buckets to take to my evaporator, saving myself a trip up the back steps for each bucket. At my age, the fewer trips up and down those slippery back steps, the better. I somehow managed to size everything correctly for this the first time and it works very well.

The "wands" on the end of the inlet and outlet hoses are 1/2" CPVC. One ten footer will make 3 of them. The inlet hose is six feet of 1/2" clear crosslinked polyethylene. The outlet hose is eight feet of 1/2" clear polyethylene. The fittings are 1/2". The pump is a Shurflo 4008 12VDC with an inlet filter. The scabbard for one wand is 1" flexible non-metallic conduit. The short trip across the back deck is much safer than the trip up the back steps.