PDA

View Full Version : Filtering sap going into tank

West Sumner Sugar
02-24-2017, 06:51 AM
Has anyone or does anyone filter sap before pumping into their head tank? It seems like we get a ton of debris in the pans and figuring if we can filter before filling the tank that would help a lot. There doesn't seem to be much out there for sap filters. I was wondering about hanging a syrup cone filter over the end of the pipe going into the tank. Just wondering how fast the sap will transfer through the filter. We use a 2" pump with 2" pvc, even on low idle the sap is flowing at a good rate.

jmayerl
02-24-2017, 07:00 AM
I use milk socks, available in many sizes

Sugarmaker
02-24-2017, 07:07 AM
Filtering wont hurt. You might get ants, or some bark or some dirt. But what are you seeing in the syrup pans?
Regards,
Chris

KV Sappers
02-24-2017, 07:12 AM
I'm on buckets and filter my sap out of the buckets through cheese cloth before going into my holding tank.

Jolly Acres Farm
02-24-2017, 08:03 AM
I buy sap filters, there cheap at 5.95 each. They fit perfectly in the opening of a 275 gallon IBC tank.

West Sumner Sugar
02-24-2017, 11:31 AM
I buy sap filters, there cheap at 5.95 each. They fit perfectly in the opening of a 275 gallon IBC tank.

Our head tank is a 330gal IBC. Do you have a link to what you are using?

Where are you getting the milk socks?

We have seen pieces of leaves, pine needles, little pieces of bark, sand, etc. It would just be nice to not put this in the pan if we can. We've found the float valve going into the front pan will build up with debris and not allow sap to flow through very well.

BSD
02-24-2017, 11:35 AM
i find it easier to just filter as it drops ito the float box. standard household filter with a 5 micron gets everything out with no pump, just the head pressure is fine. I tried to attach a gallon counter, but it doesn't work accurately at less than 30 GPH unfortunately, but does give you a ball park

Bruce L
02-24-2017, 11:45 AM
We have a framework set up that has a screen on it to support a pillow case,found that milk socks would sometimes break under pressure,now the sap filters as fast as we can pump it. It sits on top of the head tank allowing for the sap to be pumped onto as well as sap dropped in from the gathering tub.

West Sumner Sugar
02-24-2017, 02:20 PM
All great ideas! I was wondering about a household water filter housing but didn't know if the sap would flow through it and the filter since there isn't much pressure behind it.

wiam
02-24-2017, 02:33 PM
All great ideas! I was wondering about a household water filter housing but didn't know if the sap would flow through it and the filter since there isn't much pressure behind it.
That is pretty much the filter on an RO. It would work. Look for a pop on filter from a maple supply outfit. I would NEVER put a restriction between feed tank and evaporator. Too much could go wrong there.

danielschauder
02-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Banjo makes y-strainers in various sizes and mesh filter sizes. I have a 2" Banjo y-strainer with 80 mesh in line from my head tank to my float box, it works very well. It takes 2 seconds to take it out and clean it and its completely reusable. Here's a link to the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Banjo-LS200-80-Polypropylene-Strainer-Female/dp/B0079JTEDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487972145&sr=8-1&keywords=Banjo+ls200-80
I step down from 2" feed line to 3/4" a couple feet before the float box. The 80 mesh which is stainless will catch all the debris but will not plug if you rinse it out once a day. It works very well for filtering your sap before the evaporator.

wnybassman
02-24-2017, 05:18 PM
I just started using milk filters this year, 12" long. I just zip tie to the end of the piping going into the head tank, and replace every couple boils. I bought a box of a 100 on Ebay for $21, and should last a few years.. The one I just cut off tonight was definitely doing its job. A LOT of crap in it.

BSD
02-24-2017, 05:25 PM
All great ideas! I was wondering about a household water filter housing but didn't know if the sap would flow through it and the filter since there isn't much pressure behind it.I have my head tank about 4' above my pan. I run comfortably @ 40 GPH with it. it will run double that easily with a 1/2" feed line. So far so good!

Jolly Acres Farm
02-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Our head tank is a 330gal IBC. Do you have a link to what you are using?

Where are you getting the milk socks?

We have seen pieces of leaves, pine needles, little pieces of bark, sand, etc. It would just be nice to not put this in the pan if we can. We've found the float valve going into the front pan will build up with debris and not allow sap to flow through very well.
Not sure how to do a link. It is CDL part # BVBAG100 it's listed as a 10" filtration bag.

Z/MAN
02-25-2017, 09:31 PM
I also use milk sock filters. I clip them on the end of all my lines entering the tanks and also the end of my pump hose going into my main storage tank. I have a paper cone filter attached to a holder that I use when emptying all my buckets. My sap is filtered a few times before it hits the boiling pan and it costs almost nothing the way I do it. The milk socks pick up a lot assorted stuff and also fill with slime at the end of the season. They are cheap enough to change every day or two.