PDA

View Full Version : Leader half pint evaporator

Page Meadow Maple
02-24-2017, 05:07 AM
Just bricked and seasoned my new half pint evaporator. Today will be our first run with sap. Any tips? Do you draw it off at the syrup stage or just before that temperature/density and then finish off on stove top or turkey fryer?

ecolbeck
02-24-2017, 06:14 AM
Best tip: Spend hours on this site searching and combing through the threads to answer specific questions. I have learned a lot here.

Drawing off finished syrup is ideal but depends on a number of factors. It will take the better part of a day to sweeten the pan. I used a Mason 2x3 last year and was able to finish on the pan. Do you have a thermometer and a hydrometer? Those will help you determine if your syrup is finished. The turkey fryer may give you a better measure of control if you need it.

maple flats
02-24-2017, 06:37 AM
When I had a half pint I did both ways. If I had loads of sap, I finished on the stove with windows open, when I could keep up with the sap I finished on the evaporator. Either way, draw fairly slow to minimizing mixing in the channels from surges as you open and close the valve. The best part it to have fun.

On the ledge
02-24-2017, 07:40 PM
I have a leader 1/2 pint you will have to run close to 100 gals .of sap through before you can draw off syrup. Any thing less and I have to finish on my turkey fryer.

Page Meadow Maple
02-25-2017, 01:40 PM
I have a leader 1/2 pint you will have to run close to 100 gals .of sap through before you can draw off syrup. Any thing less and I have to finish on my turkey fryer.

You must be a mind reader. I just finished boiling my first 50 gallons and logged on here to ask when/how to draw off. The liquid is definitely sweeter and thicker, but not syrup. Should I leave all the concentrated liquid in overnight and hope for a good run tomorrow to add to it? Or is it just better to pull out the turkey fryer from last year finished it off?

Also, what did you do for defoaming? I used the drops but still had to skim off by hand?

How often do you empty and clean the pan?

Thanks!

Sweet Shady Lane
02-25-2017, 10:46 PM
I've had my halfpint two years now and I've always tried to take it off as close to 219 as I can, a (good) thermometer is a must, I run my depth at 2 inches, This is what works for me, you are just going to have to find out what works for you.