PDA

View Full Version : Filter press issues

madmapler
02-23-2017, 09:01 PM
I picked up a 10" aluminum filter press over the summer and I can't seem to get more than 20 gallons or so through it before it starts to plug up and start blowing out the seams. I tried mixing 5 cups of DE to a 5 gallon charge pail to give it a good coat after the first failure and no real difference. We even put a wrench over the screws to get it tighter. No good. I put a new pump on it today as the other one was shot. I noticed the pressure starts out at about 10 and climbs pretty steadily until it gets to about 50 then it fails. My 7" press could get up to 80 before things started happening. There is only about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch on the papers when it plugs up. Could the DE be bad? Any thoughts?

JoeJ
02-23-2017, 10:02 PM
You did not sat how thick your plates are or how many hollow plates you have. I think that you need to at least double if not triple the cups of DE on your initial charge depending on how many plates and their thickness.

jmayerl
02-23-2017, 10:13 PM
You need to use 200-300% more DE. All plates should be packed almost full. My 7" has5 hollow plates and takes 15 cups of DE when full.

maple flats
02-24-2017, 05:26 AM
Mine too. I use 2.5 cups DE in 4 gal to charge 5 plates on a 7" press in early thru mid season, more in late season. Then each 6 gal batch gets 2 cups until late season. Your 10" press has slightly over double the surface area (49 sq" vs 100 sq "). In general anytime you have a filter press that seems to go too high in pressure it is because you need more DE. When the pressure climbs high and you open the press to change the papers, if every available space in the hollow plates is not full, it is because you used too little DE. The DE is the filter medium, not the papers, they are there just to catch the DE. Each season seems to be different too, you may need to use more this year and possibly less next, it is a trial and error judgement call.

madmapler
02-24-2017, 08:48 AM
Mine too. I use 2.5 cups DE in 4 gal to charge 5 plates on a 7" press in early thru mid season, more in late season. Then each 6 gal batch gets 2 cups until late season. Your 10" press has slightly over double the surface area (49 sq" vs 100 sq "). In general anytime you have a filter press that seems to go too high in pressure it is because you need more DE. When the pressure climbs high and you open the press to change the papers, if every available space in the hollow plates is not full, it is because you used too little DE. The DE is the filter medium, not the papers, they are there just to catch the DE. Each season seems to be different too, you may need to use more this year and possibly less next, it is a trial and error judgement call.

What you do is similar to what I used to do with my 7" so I thought 5 cups would do it. However the consensus seems to be to throw more DE at it and that's what I'm going to do. Maybe it is something with this years syrup. Thanks.

madmapler
02-24-2017, 09:32 PM
We just finished up for the night and the filter press worked great. Thanks to all for the help.

maple flats
02-25-2017, 06:20 AM
According to Lapierre anytime a filter press fails to filter perfectly you need more DE.
Each season and time in the season will often be different, you just need to find what is needed when you do it. If the syrup does not sparkle, use more DE.