PDA

View Full Version : Air over fire update

treehugger
02-23-2017, 07:15 PM
I boiled today for the first time after adding air over fire. I already had auf with high pressure injection. Still have to fine tune my use but saw an nice increase in evaporation rate and also was able to double the time between firings. Getting 72 gak/hr and firing around every 12 minutes. Here's the link of video I took today. Seems to be gasifying. https://youtu.be/GCBuTVGe-mc

maple flats
02-24-2017, 06:06 AM
You want more wood in the firebox. I fill mine to about 2/3 full at each fueling, you will get an even better boil rate.
When I first added my AOF I tried several fueling times, before it I was every 7 minutes. With it I tried everything from 8-9-10-12-15 and 20 minute intervals. I then found that with better wood 10 worked best and it I had some punky wood 9 was better. All of my wood has seasoned 2-6 years, split and stacked. I don't try to get 5 years ahead, but I was 2 ahead when I got my RO and I haven't used up what I had then, still working on that. Won't use up the older wood until likely next season, then all wood should be 2-3 years seasoning. Some of my 6 yr. old stuff is not near as solid as it was when cut and split, it's stacked outdoors.

treehugger
02-24-2017, 07:56 AM
Yeah that video was early on. About half way through i put more wood in an could space it out to 12 min. This video was with it fuller. I could barely video it was like an incinerator. https://youtu.be/mLNUFO98d1o

treehugger
02-24-2017, 02:08 PM
You want more wood in the firebox. I fill mine to about 2/3 full at each fueling, you will get an even better boil rate.
When I first added my AOF I tried several fueling times, before it I was every 7 minutes. With it I tried everything from 8-9-10-12-15 and 20 minute intervals. I then found that with better wood 10 worked best and it I had some punky wood 9 was better. All of my wood has seasoned 2-6 years, split and stacked. I don't try to get 5 years ahead, but I was 2 ahead when I got my RO and I haven't used up what I had then, still working on that. Won't use up the older wood until likely next season, then all wood should be 2-3 years seasoning. Some of my 6 yr. old stuff is not near as solid as it was when cut and split, it's stacked outdoors.

wish I could be that far ahead on firewood.