PDA

View Full Version : 2" Semi-Trash Pump and PVC Pipe

TradeRiver
02-23-2017, 09:18 AM
I bought a new 2" Semi-trash pump this year to move sap from my collecting tanks to my storage tanks. I also buy sap from a few local people so I do a fair amount of sap transfering.

My problem: The soft discharge hoses are a pain in the butt and it sometimes requires three people - one at the pump, one at the suction end, and one at the discharge end. It's also difficult to drain the discharge hoses at the end of the pumping and I have 100' of hose out.

My Idea: I'm thinking about hard piping from the front of my shack where I unload vehicles to the back of the shack where my storage tanks are with 2" PVC pipe and a quick connect fitting on the inlet end. It will about 75' of piping total. I have two options: Elevate the inlet side of the system and slope the pipe slightly toward the tanks. This creates some atheistic problems like pipe running through windows, and it might be kind of ugly. I'm OK with that if it's the best solution but it really will be ugly and I'll have to fasten hangers to the side of my new metal building.

My other idea was to run the pipe closer to the ground with a smaller amount of gravity toward the tanks for drainage. The only issue I can see is that the bulk tanks are about 6'-0" high so I will have to pump the sap up 6'-0" at the tank. So the pipe would run just off the ground and then at the tank some type of sweep 90 degree elbow up and a 6'-0" rise up to the tank. Would that work? It's a quality pump that discharges about 10,000 GPH. I could but a drain at the low point so I can drain the system at night so it doesn't freeze up.

Any ideas would be helpful!

BSD
02-23-2017, 09:24 AM
I would use 2" black poly well hose line, it'll be cheaper than PVC. Put a T right before a 90 up to the tank with a ball valve out the bottom to drain at night into a bucket.

Woodland Acres
02-23-2017, 08:16 PM
I'm pumping uphill 850 feet using a 2 inch Honda pump. My tank outlets are 1 1/2 inches I put a 2 inch to 1 1/2 inch bushing in to feed the pump .On the discharged end I went into 1 1/4 mainline to my sugar house . I use camlock fittings to connect the short hoses needed to connect the pump up to it.

TwinBay
02-24-2017, 06:01 AM
We use food grade black poly- Think it has a white stripe on it