PDA

View Full Version : Tapped too late?

red gate maple
02-22-2017, 08:58 PM
We tapped and hung 50 buckets on February 18 in NW PA and boiled 110 gallons of sap down to two gallons of lovely syrup on February 21. Now the temperatures are way above average with 60s in the day and 40s at night. I can see the buds beginning to swell. I hope winter returns befor our tap holes dry up.

slammer3364
02-24-2017, 03:48 PM
suppose to go back to winter next week for a few days then real winter again if you can believe weatherman. I wuold think your taps should be good for 6 or 7 weeks good luck

5050racing
02-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Taps will be good the only thing is will the sap be any good if it runs,pretty sure I'm done in north NJ, test boil it if it smells it's it,the peeper frogs were singing Saturday night

Sugarmaker
02-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Your taps should be good and fresh for the run that is coming tomorrow! Hope you have lots of rest and firewood!
We are about 1 hour north west of you. Tapped Feb 5th, 6th, and 7th. Should be good for another 2 weeks if the weather is good.
Regards,
Chris

sweetwoodmaple
02-26-2017, 04:35 PM
We were late to the game this year since I had not tapped seriously in 5 years. Tubing, vacuum lines, releaser, tanks all needed major overhauls, so I did not have my taps ready in time. It's always a risk, but I am farther south than Chris, I I have to tap a week to two earlier.

I had planned on tapping a week ago, but had a business trip. I broke open some buds yesterday, they are soft and a bit green. Soft maples are in full bud.

I boiled some to be sure, and it's all wood smell with no sweet. Without a deep freeze, I am done before I got started. I had one time about 10 years ago where it went into deep freeze and the sap went back to normal.

Good to be back on the trader, all the best to everyone.

Brian

red gate maple
02-28-2017, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the advice Chris. The sap is really flowing today! Planning a big boil Thursday morning. The sap I collected today was crystal clear. I am so glad the season isn't over!

red gate maple
03-12-2017, 06:07 PM
In NW PA we had a big sap surge last week now everything is frozen and will remain that way for at least a week. I happy to have some time to do some other things then get ready for the big thaw and hopefully another sap surge!

Sugarmaker
03-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Brian, Welcome back! We had a lot of good conversations about making syrup and equipment!

Guys sometimes I am off making some noise on other posts and don't pay attention whats going on close to home! Sorry!:)

Red Gate,
You should be in pretty good shape and getting some sap today and Tuesday????
I did go and check there collection containers 30 + taps on the first and there was a quart of sap. 16 taps on the next one and it had 1/2 gallon. Third had 20 taps and there was about 1.5 gallons of clear sap.
I think my taps may have dried out. Its been 6 weeks. Wa have had VERY warm and VERY cold spells during that time.
We had to dump 60 gallons of sweet that was not good.
Not sure I will be boiling again this season. We made a lot of good syrup Pretty much a full crop for us.
Regards,
Chris

red gate maple
03-25-2017, 10:01 PM
Pulled my taps 3/23 and bottled our final batch of syrup today 3/25. After tapping late, we still had a 5 week season. I am sad the season is over but am looking forward to the 2017 Maple Expo and the 2018 maple season.

slammer3364
03-26-2017, 11:47 PM
I think its about over too. Pretty rough this year very little sap and no sugar in what we did pick up.Hope to be retired by next year , so I am hoping for more sap

sweetwoodmaple
04-08-2021, 07:49 PM
A little late responding here, Tapped Feb 23 and was done by the March 10th this year. Some of that was for non-maple related reasons, but I might have managed another boil or so. I am far enough south from Chris that I usually end earlier.

I ended up with about 50 gallons from 225+/- taps. Not bad for a little less than three weeks of boiling. Pretty much a normal year, just very condensed. I had some great runs, usually around 400 gallons of sap average. 22" of vacuum helps.

5 gallons dedicated to Maple Cream, and the rest bottled.