PDA

View Full Version : Sunrise Evaporator

brswiech
02-22-2017, 11:05 AM
Forgive my shameless plug and bragging but I wanted to show off my new pan and arch. I talked with Daryl Sheets, the filter press guy, at a maple expo last year. After placing the order, having it delivered, building the shelter and setting it up, it is finally up and running. I am amazed at the efficiency of it. I have never had anything this nice and cannot believe how well it heats and evaporates. It is an amazing piece of equipment and am in awe each time I use it.

Here is my setup from last year:15613

psparr
02-22-2017, 11:25 AM
That's quite an upgrade!

steam maker
02-22-2017, 11:47 AM
holy upgrade batman looks mint

TapTapTap
02-22-2017, 12:09 PM
You should absolutely show-off that new equipment. It will only be new once, you know!
I will say that I love your older primitive setup from last year. It really captures the essence of traditional sugaring: simple, inexpensive, organized, and frugal.

mapling4fun
02-22-2017, 06:12 PM
Forgive my shameless plug and bragging but I wanted to show off my new pan and arch. I talked with Daryl Sheets, the filter press guy, at a maple expo last year. After placing the order, having it delivered, building the shelter and setting it up, it is finally up and running. I am amazed at the efficiency of it. I have never had anything this nice and cannot believe how well it heats and evaporates. It is an amazing piece of equipment and am in awe each time I use it.

Here is my setup from last year:15613

I was thinking of coiling the copper tubing around the stack a couple years ago, but a local guy said that it just vapor locks. Did you ever have that problem? Any other suggestions?

motowbrowne
02-22-2017, 07:33 PM
I was thinking of coiling the copper tubing around the stack a couple years ago, but a local guy said that it just vapor locks. Did you ever have that problem? Any other suggestions?

I've done it before. It can vapor lock, and it can scorch and burn. I wouldn't even consider risking it with a flue pan. With a rig like that if you're running an inch or less in the flue pan, you don't have much time before a feed line interrupted by a vapor lock wrecks your whole year.

If you want a preheater, add one in the steam hood. They're much safer.

Oh yeah, and congrats on the new rig! How deep are those flues? Like others said, that's a huge upgrade from where you were. I hope you get years of service from it.

Sugarmaker
02-22-2017, 07:47 PM
Very nice new evaporator! Congratulations!
Regards,
Chris

butler
02-22-2017, 08:06 PM
Just curious what one of these rigs run price wise.. just approx?

MISugarDaddy
02-23-2017, 04:58 AM
Congratulations on your new evaporator!!! You should be proud of it and show it off. Like others have said, wow what an upgrade. It is probably safe to say that it boils off sap a bit faster than your original setup. I bet you are going to really enjoy this year.
Gary

Daryl
02-23-2017, 06:02 AM
Brandon's evaporator does have a preheater in the hood. It doesn't have any forced air.
It is a raised flue with a one side draw off.
It has a very even boil in both the flue pan and the syrup pan.
Thanks Brandon for posting the pictures.
Daryl

Aa2tn
02-23-2017, 09:52 AM
Nice rig!!! :D I have the same one, new this year with the forced air. We are super happy with it. It draws off at regular intervals unlike my old one that had too large of channels and circulated around till it drew off a gallon at a time. We get about 45 gallons an hour with so so wood. Only thing I have to do for next year is modify the shack a little and run the steam stacks out the top of the cupola as I get too much condensation dripping in the shack now. I went to the factory and picked it up from John, super nice guys out there, gave me a tour and showed us the whole shop, spent a couple of hours with us!1564215643

brswiech
02-23-2017, 01:21 PM
After everything was said and done I think the total came in just a little over 9k. It was worth every penny, mostly because none of it was my money. Like I said, it is am amazing piece of equipment. Daryl was helpful through every step of the process and even came down for my first boil and set it up for me.

As far as my old set up; the copper tube around the chimney worked, to a degree. I constantly had to fiddle with the valve to get it to drip at a rate equal to evaporation. If I was to do it again I would not wrap it tight around the chimney, instead I would leave about a 2" gap. It may not heat as well but I wouldn't worry about it evaporating in the coil.

maple milker
02-23-2017, 01:45 PM
I've been dreaming of that same side draw off ever since it became available. Maybe I'll "accidently" burn my current pan this season!