PDA

View Full Version : filter press

themapleking
03-07-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm haveing problems filtering this year. I'm adding 2-5 cups of filter add per 7-8gal of syrup. The syrup is coming out dirty, I've even ran through the press 2-3 times and its still dirty. Put in new papers even 8 gals or start on the new day. It worked great last year. Don't know whats wrong this year. The syrup is 200 degrees going in. And all the plates holes are on the same side.
I need HELP

sugaring42long
03-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Hi Mapleking,
That sounds like a tough one. Some syrup has been filtering very hard this year for me but it being cloudy makes no sense. Does the press build pressure? There were some really poor quality papers being sold in WNY at one time. They are brown instead of white and break so easy you never even know it.
I would say you're either breaking papers (make sure pressure gauge is reading properly and there are no sharp edges on any of the waffling on your plates), assembling wrong or have a crack or some other defect in one of your plates. I saw a brand new 10" press last year that had holes drilled on the wrong side of one of the plates and it pumped cloudy syrup.
Get the plates and both end peices super clean and use a bright light to check for cracks or warping. Also check your used papers to see if theres any tears. Good luck and keep us posted

themapleking
03-08-2004, 02:06 PM
All right have the filter press problem solved.
First thing is to get more sleep and not try doing 5 things at once. I just had some waffer plates fliped around. Got it runnig good today and filter and bottled 40 gals. Clean as glass and great tasting.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Joe,

Sounds like your year is going great with all the sap your getting and the syrup your making??

Good luck!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-04-2004, 02:48 PM
Who makes a good filter press for a reasonable price?? Are there differences in quality and features as some brands are quite a bit more than others??

Might be interested in getting one if the price is right. :?

saphappy
04-04-2004, 07:14 PM
They all seem to cost about the same for the same features. I bought a lapierre single bank 7 inch this year and am happy with it so far. It was a special price at the dealer but still $1000. Almost $400 off. You could try to find used but they would cost a lot to ship since they are heavy. The Lapierre came with quick coupled tubing for the outlet and inlet. The wes-fab didn't have any tubing. The wesfab uses galvanised pipe to hold the plates but the lapierre has black pipe to hold the plates. I think it may rust so that would be the disdvantage I could tell just by looking at them side-by-side. The lapierre has an outlet in the base pan where the wes-fab didn't that I saw. But really the big thing for me was the sale price.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-04-2004, 08:41 PM
By looking at the pictures, the D&G look really nice and are a few bucks more than most. I am not sure why the Leader/Grimm cost more than the others.

Has anyone ever tried one of the 7" hand presses??