PDA

View Full Version : starting to see trees bud in NW Indiana

Tapping Wolf
02-21-2017, 10:56 PM
Day after day in the 60's...my red and silver maple buds are starting to bud (about 1/3 of my trees are starting to bud probably many more before the next cool down)...i know its going to get cold next week but once they bud it buds..no sugar maples are budding yet that i have seen, but i only have a couple sugars.I've made just over 20 gallons this year...while we might get a couple more good runs it won't mater if buds a swelling, i have all the syrup i could handle for the year and need to get started in the green house. Im out, its been a short but vey productive season for me, 21 gallons of surup is plenty...see you next year!

MunsterMapler
02-22-2017, 06:57 PM
I only have about 5 gallons made off of 85 taps, mostly all silvers. Not a great year, still have to finish what sweet was left in my pan so maybe get a few more gallons out of it.

Tapping Wolf
02-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Yeah, what stinks is after this week the rest of March look great...i just have enough budding that that it's not worth it for me...im just glad I tapped early and hung 140+ buckets....i think there's some good syrup still to be made for those who stick it out, just have to watch out for buddy-ness...

MunsterMapler
02-22-2017, 07:40 PM
Yeah I'm going take a walk tomorrow and check out my lines, and look at the trees. Well see what happens. Know anybody that sells sap?

Tapping Wolf
02-27-2017, 08:26 AM
How are your trees looking? Mine (almost all doft maples) are over 50% budded, my few sugars maples are showing no sign of budding, still not regerting pulling out due to the large amount of syrup I made, but think if i would have stuck it out I could have made another 2-5 gallons if i pulled my taps on a tree by tree basis...how's this week going for those who are sticking it out?

Maple Dog
02-28-2017, 10:59 AM
I'm in northern Monroe county and since Sunday afternoon I have collected a little over 50 gal. There are 2 400' runs on 3/16 tubing 12 taps on each pulling a 26" vacuum . There are other trees budding but not the Maples!

Tapping Wolf
02-28-2017, 04:59 PM
I'm in northern Monroe county and since Sunday afternoon I have collected a little over 50 gal. There are 2 400' runs on 3/16 tubing 12 taps on each pulling a 26" vacuum . There are other trees budding but not the Maples!

Cool, im in southern laporte county, half or more of my silver maples and reds (wich are located where they receive full sun), are budding, no sugar maples are budding yet in my area...i was gathering 200 gallons a day on gravity (140 taps) most of my trees are still running but like i said with 21 gallons of syrup already made, and buds coming out, i saw no reason to push the envelope. What kind maples you tapping Maple Dog, how many gallons of syrup so? I found this season to have really good sugar levels this year most of my trees running 2.5-3%. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Maple Dog
03-03-2017, 08:51 AM
This weekend looks like I'll be pulling pulling my taps . Since Sunday we have gathered 100 gal of sap,looks like a bit under 1.5% . The first run on tubing was 1.75% All my trees are hard maples. This is the first year on 3/16 and I'll never carry a bucket again! So far we have produced 3.5 gal from 3 lines with 12-15 on each. For some reason the longer line of 15 only ran once ,the day or two after tapping .

Tapping Wolf
03-03-2017, 10:07 AM
That stink's about your sugar levels in your sap, this has been a strange year. Several people i know with hard maple groves are producing lower sugar levels than normal....u keep telling myself i need to invest in lines instead of bags, but i always find some where else to spend my money.