PDA

View Full Version : First boil.

mickeydafinn
02-21-2017, 01:22 PM
So this is my first syrup from this season. I have 10 taps in 4 big backyard maples. I have some sap from last week that was iced over. Do you think I can still boil it? When i checked it is still clear with no smell to it. All in all im really happy with my first run.

mickeydafinn
02-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Also where do you all buy your bottles? the mason jars are a pain in the butt!

Run Forest Run!
02-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Your syrup looks perfect! Nice job.

Put a little bit of the sap in a small saucepan and heat it up. If it stinks up the place, pitch it. I'm betting it will be perfectly fine especially since it has ice on it.

John-NJ
02-21-2017, 03:23 PM
I second the motion.

You can buy glass bottles or plastic jugs by the case or each from Bascom's via UPS. Bascommaple.com

Looks Good!

BSD
02-21-2017, 03:24 PM
I second the motion.

You can buy glass bottles or plastic jugs by the case or each from Bascom's via UPS. Bascommaple.com

Looks Good!

i bought a bunch off bascom, my wife just reported back that Tractor Supply had glass jars on the seasonal end cap while she was there.

jerzeemaple
02-21-2017, 06:08 PM
I buy all my stuff from Catskill Mountain Maple, Tom Kaufman great guy and not to far from sussex, 2 hours.

5050racing
02-21-2017, 08:44 PM
Dutch gold honey in lancaster sells it, glass,plastic you can go n buy right at there big processing plant,they handle maple syrup and some supplies,if you plan to go maybe some of us others close may want some to make it worth it,I have a big honey producer near me where I bought the glass maple bottles,not sure he can still get them but they deliver to him all the time,how many you looking for they come 12 bottles to the case I think it was like $5-$6/case

dcast99
02-22-2017, 08:45 AM
There's a new supply dealer in Chester, NJ. I know he got some plastic jugs in stock last week. I started a post here earlier. Look it up to get his info. That way you don't have to pay the shipping cost By the way Welcome to Maple Syrup Anonimous.

mickeydafinn
02-22-2017, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info folks! I had what could have been a disaster last night! I found out the hard way that it's possible to melt aluminum with a turkey fryer!!!! Thankfully the shed is fine, but the pot now has a 2 in h hole in the bottom. I can't believe I fell asleep and didn't wake up till this morning. I have a lead on a stainless pot so hopefully I can get my hands on that by tomorrow.

sugarwoodacres
02-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the info folks! I had what could have been a disaster last night! I found out the hard way that it's possible to melt aluminum with a turkey fryer!!!! Thankfully the shed is fine, but the pot now has a 2 in h hole in the bottom. I can't believe I fell asleep and didn't wake up till this morning. I have a lead on a stainless pot so hopefully I can get my hands on that by tomorrow.
It is not recommended to cook syrup in aluminum. Good idea on stainless.

John-NJ
02-22-2017, 02:45 PM
Mickey

I am in Flemington, if you need a stainless pot and can make it down here, I have a new one never used that I can give you. It is a cheap one and pretty thin but it holds 4 or 5 gallons. Just let me know.

Also, I used to use sap bags to collect sap - I don't any more, so if you want a bunch of new bags and holders I made that hang on the taps, you can have those too.

Regards

mickeydafinn
02-22-2017, 08:34 PM
Thanks John. I will let you know about the pot. I am trying to buy one on letgo that is 80 quarts. Do you think the bags work better than 5 gallon buckets?

John-NJ
02-22-2017, 09:17 PM
No problem

Well, bags are cheaper if you have a bunch of taps, and you use one per tap, so you don't need tubing like when you share a bucket. On the down side, you can puncture the bags, especially if you have prickers in your sugarbush. You can usually put a piece of tape on them to repair. At the end of the season you throw out the bag, so no cleaning.

They work pretty good all in all.

Best of all is a tubing and vacuum system in my book. I got tired of schlepping sap.

Yours if you want them (or to anyone who wants them). I won't throw them out because they work just fine, I just won't use them here.

Happy Sugaring and welcome!

mickeydafinn
02-27-2017, 07:03 AM
I haven't heard back from the guy selling the pot. Could I grab that one from you John? I'm on vacation this week so I'm available all day.

5050racing
02-27-2017, 07:33 AM
Micky I'm in asbury and I'm pretty sure I'm done for season how many gallons of sap do you need to boil? I may offer my pan 2'x2' or bring sap n your wood down n boil it here,I can do about 12-14gal/hr on good wood? Also have two 5gal stainless pits you could borrow?

mickeydafinn
02-27-2017, 08:00 AM
I only have about 30 gallons of sap to boil down. I could grab the pots today and return them tomorrow. I would love to get it done today!

5050racing
02-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Send me your number in private message I will call you,I sent you a message earlier

John-NJ
02-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Mickey, sorry didn't see your note till just now. I would be happy to give it to you, but my schedule is totally wacky this week because my dad just had surgery.

Looks like 5050 has you covered for now - thanks Teddy - the pot is still yours if you want it for next time/next year. It is just extra to my needs. Also if you want to try the bags next year you can have that stuff. My schedule should stabilize in the next couple of days, and we can hook up.

Also if you need a burner, I have an extra propane "turkey fryer" burner. I want to get a few bucks for it, but we can talk about it if you want one.

Regards
John