PDA

View Full Version : Clear check valves question

steve J
02-21-2017, 06:35 AM
I am heading to Leader to buy some supplies today. My question is are clear check valves better than the black ones? And if so I am using black stubbies can I put a clear check valve adapter on a black stub?

DrTimPerkins
02-21-2017, 07:18 AM
I am heading to Leader to buy some supplies today. My question is are clear check valves better than the black ones?

Polycarbonate (clear) seems to stick in the trees better than nylon (black) spouts. On really warm years, black spouts can heat up a lot and lead to premature taphole drying. Finally, some people like to be able to see sap flow out of the tree better to look for leaks (although don't mistake slowly moving tiny bubbles for leaks....these are gases from the tree and are normal).

And if so I am using black stubbies can I put a clear check valve adapter on a black stub?

Yes.

steve J
02-21-2017, 07:22 AM
Thank you Dr. Tim

markcasper
02-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Polycarbonate (clear) seems to stick in the trees better than nylon (black) spouts. On really warm years, black spouts can heat up a lot and lead to premature taphole drying. Do you have data that supports this theory?

hogisland42
02-21-2017, 07:46 AM
They cost more, so they must be better. Lol

DrTimPerkins
02-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Do you have data that supports this theory?

It depends what you mean by "data."

In this case, I can tell you that through direct experience when we used nylon spouts we spent a lot of time in the woods each year reseating spouts after a hard freeze. Typically we'd do this 1-3x per season...every season. Since switching to polycarbonate spouts, we rarely do a woods patrol just to reseat spouts.

Second set of observations.....pulling spouts. Nylon spouts pop right out of the tree with little effort. Polycarbonate spouts come out much harder.

I'm sure I could easily generate some actual quantitative data, and I'm pretty sure what the results would be, but I don't have a lot of interest in taking the time to show what I think is pretty obvious via direct observation.

steve J
02-21-2017, 12:31 PM
I just got back from Leader and they went as far as to say in some cases people break the clear spout trying to get them out. I was excited to try them but they are sold out and even if they get them in they are committed to filling back orders. I did buy some black nylon ones but I don't think I will use them as my knees are not going to be thrill with having to walk the hillside to do reset patrol.

J. hutchins
02-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Dr. Tim, Has any one ever looked at tap stain size between nylon and poly carbonate. Is poly carbonate harder on the tree?

TheMapleMoose
02-21-2017, 06:33 PM
I just got back from Leader and they went as far as to say in some cases people break the clear spout trying to get them out. I was excited to try them but they are sold out and even if they get them in they are committed to filling back orders. I did buy some black nylon ones but I don't think I will use them as my knees are not going to be thrill with having to walk the hillside to do reset patrol.

We have used the black ones for 6 seasons, and have only had trouble with frost heaving the spouts loose one season. We got some February runs followed by a week of near 0 temps. Otherwise we have had good luck with them staying tight

Homestead Maple
02-21-2017, 09:07 PM
I switched to the poly ones two years ago and for me it was a good move. I agree with Dr. Tim, they seam to seat better as I never see any weeping tap holes.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-22-2017, 06:44 AM
If you are going to use Nylon spouts, white spouts would have to stay cooler and breed less bacteria than black.

Homestead Maple
02-22-2017, 12:06 PM
If you are going to use Nylon spouts, white spouts would have to stay cooler and breed less bacteria than black.

I never thought about black attracting more bacteria but it makes sense.

ryebrye
02-22-2017, 03:25 PM

Peter Purinton has some in stock in Huntington. At least he did last Friday - my guess is he still does. You could call him up and see.

Russell Lampron
02-22-2017, 06:54 PM
This is my 3rd season using the cv2's and switching to them has been the best thing that I have done as far as taps are concerned. Micro leaks are practically non existent and it is nice to be able to see the sap coming out of the tree. You can tell immediately if you have a hollow tree or if the leak is where the drop goes onto the tap or somewhere else. Something that wasn't possible with the black taps and adapters.

DrTimPerkins
02-23-2017, 07:54 AM
Dr. Tim, Has any one ever looked at tap stain size between nylon and poly carbonate. Is poly carbonate harder on the tree?

Not that I know of, however there is no physiological reason to think that the composition of the spout has any effect on compartmentalization within the tree.

DrTimPerkins
02-23-2017, 08:02 AM

We've compared spouts from the same and different manufacturers in different colors over 3 years. Really there is no difference in the vast majority of cases between color. In really hot sunny weather, clear poly warms up the least, then nylon spouts, and black nylon being the hottest. It didn't affect yield in the 3 yrs we measured it, but there is certainly the potential that it could under the right conditions...especially if we have a year like 2012 again.

Sunday Rock Maple
02-23-2017, 11:43 PM
especially if we have a year like 2012 again.

2012 was like the old saying about marriage, a good one is worth waiting for and a bad one is worth waiting a whole lot longer for......