PDA

View Full Version : Syrup press tubing

DocsMapleSyrup
02-20-2017, 06:34 PM
This year I purchased a filter press, 7" short bank. I was wondering what type of tubing is needed for inlet and outlet of the filter press, and also a good source for the tubing. Thanks.

Dennis H.
02-20-2017, 07:20 PM
I got some of that clear braided type hose for my filter press and it works great.
The pressure is not what you have to worry about as much as the temp. You need something that can with stand 180-200 degrees.
The inlet hose will see pressure so you should be ok there. The outlet should be the same. If you have a hose between the pump and press like mine then that one you need to be sure that it can handle the pressure at the temp the syrup will be going thru it.

Wanabe1972
02-20-2017, 07:20 PM
There is a food grade silicone hose for up to 500 degrees. I bought mine e on eBay for like 1.40 a foot for half inch. Make sure you get high temp. I got the wrong stuff and took a 190 degree load to the face that cost me a new oven for my wife.

maple flats
02-20-2017, 07:21 PM
If you mean the hose between the pump and the filter plates, that is special hi pressure food grade hose, if you mean the hose to supply the pump inlet, that is a silicone hose, high temp, the same on the outlet hose. Most maple dealers carry it.

jmayerl
02-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Milk hose from fleet farm

DocsMapleSyrup
02-22-2017, 07:19 PM
From the sounds of the comments, braided vinyl hose would not be recommended. Thanks for the comments.

RileySugarbush
02-22-2017, 11:52 PM
What are you using for a pump, Chad? The only section of tubing that is high pressure is between the pump outlet and the press inlet. On my Daryl 5" hand press, and now with my SL air diaphragm pump added, that connection is 1/2" pipe, so no problem with pressure rating. I would not want that to be hose since I could possibly run that up to 100psi. The inlet hose is milk hose from Fleet farm, on recommendation of Larry Pakiz. Heavy wall so the suction doesn't collapse it. Outlet hose is a silicon hose that only sees minimal pressure since it is always open on the end. Nice and flexible.

DocsMapleSyrup
02-24-2017, 09:37 PM
It's the intake and outlet hoses I'm wondering about. I have an air diaphragm pump connected through pipe to the press.