PDA

View Full Version : Did I ruin my hydrometer?

SapSuckers
04-04-2007, 09:15 PM
I was boiling th other night (mostly practicing on my new rig) when i was at about 5.5 degrees above boiling. I was getting supplies ready and put my hydrometer in my test cup and hung it on my drawoff box. There was fair amount of heat coming from the side of my arch and my cup and hydrometer got hot. Can those take any heat? Dry heat? I did not have any syrup to test it on since the night got cut short

325abn
04-04-2007, 09:31 PM
I dont see the damage that could have been done except the obvious broken glass.

HanginAround
04-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I think if the glass is okay, should be fine. You might want to check it against something to be sure though.

Russell Lampron
04-05-2007, 05:34 AM
I don't believe you hurt your hydrometer at all. They are made to handle some heat. The thing that hurts them is letting them bump off of the bottom of your hydrometer cup. The bumping will cause the paper to move which will then give you an inaccurate reading.

Russ

Mike
04-06-2007, 01:54 PM
An Old sugar maker told me once if you get a new hydrometer stand it up in the box and mark the red mark on the box, will will tell you if the paper has shifted...I also put it on my window sill and do the same......A good reference....