PDA

View Full Version : Curing Refractory Cement

treehugger
02-20-2017, 02:08 PM
How long and slow should I run the fire until cement is considered cured? Thanks.

Bricklayer
02-20-2017, 02:34 PM
If the temp is above freezing let it air cure for as long as you can. Then if need be put a light bulb or small heater in the firebox and cover arch for 24-48 hours. You want to avoid firing it if possible for at least 24 hours. If absolutely not possible then maybe throw a couple pieces of splits in the firebox and have a low burn without blower enough to heat firebrick up. They will stay warm for a while after a fire. If you rapidly dry out the fire clay it will have 0 strength.

treehugger
02-20-2017, 09:28 PM
If the temp is above freezing let it air cure for as long as you can. Then if need be put a light bulb or small heater in the firebox and cover arch for 24-48 hours. You want to avoid firing it if possible for at least 24 hours. If absolutely not possible then maybe throw a couple pieces of splits in the firebox and have a low burn without blower enough to heat firebrick up. They will stay warm for a while after a fire. If you rapidly dry out the fire clay it will have 0 strength.

Great thanks. That's easy. I thought it was like a slow cook. I did the work a month ago. And had a spce heater in it for a few days. And now ready to boil.