PDA

View Full Version : Desperate for cheap Vac pump or Gast Pump Repair in S. NH Area

BlueberryHill
02-19-2017, 07:04 PM
I got my system completely installed and I am mostly tapped. I fired up my Gast 3040 and it ran for about 1 minute before something broke ( I think a vein) and it ceased up. Now I am stuck with no pump and no way to fix this one right now since I have no idea how to fix them and no idea where to get parts quickly. Does anyone have something somewhat cheap for sale? This will be for probably 200 taps max, so I don't need anything huge. Or does someone know of anyone in the Southern NH area that fixes these?

Dill
02-20-2017, 07:09 AM
Define cheap. There are some on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gast-Model-No-3040-V36A-Vacuum-Pump-/291831904113?hash=item43f2897771:g:E0MAAOSwPRlXm1f X
For dairy pumps try Leroy Glines in Canterbury he might have something or be able to fix it.
http://dairytechinc.com/content/laglines-farm-service-roy-glines
I have a big delaval that will need some repair but it can be had cheap.

DaveB
02-20-2017, 07:55 AM
I know there are guys that use vacuum pumps from Harbor Freight for about $90. I'm actually trying one this year for a small setup I have. It might help you bridge the gap until you can get yours fixed.

FWIW, I've seen the same pump (with a little higher CFM) on Amazon for $56:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012CFTYX4/

BlueberryHill
02-20-2017, 08:38 AM
Thanks to you both for the advice. I will contact the dairy repair guy right now. The Harbor Freight route scares me because I feel like I would just burn that pump out pretty quick and I don't know if it would be enough pull for my ladders. But it is something to think about for sure in a pinch. I never even thought of that.

I guess cheap is out the window. I'm happy to spend on a pump that is the right pump. If I can get something that will be reliable and that I don't have to dicker with then I don't mind investing (spending more that I will ever get back, haha) in a good pump. But looking at the Mapleguys site and the Bascoms site, it looks like their cheapest pumps are well over 2 grand which kinda hurts. Wish there was something in between. I don't think I'll ever have more than 200 taps on this setup. 350 would be the absolute max if I decided attempt pulling a mainline through a culvert under the road. The cheapest "maple pumps" I see on those sites are all for 100+ taps. Am I missing something?

Sorry for my ignorance! Learning on the fly here. So far just figuring out a lot of "what not to do", haha.

BlueberryHill
02-20-2017, 09:20 PM
I found a Gast pump locally and I have it rigged up now. By the time it was set up all the lines were frozen so I did not get to pump them out and test everything, but the pump seems to pull good so it looks like I am back up and running. Too bad I missed out on most of the sap this weekend! You can bet that I will have my crap together ahead of time next year!

maplestudent
02-22-2017, 08:39 PM
" You can bet that I will have my crap together ahead of time next year!"

----------

I say that every year, and then prove myself wrong again.

Anyway, I hope that new pump works well for you.

weldable
02-23-2017, 06:11 PM
I made the mistake of not having a filter in front of the gast suction line pump was running good then seized and ate the vanes please be sure you have the gast filter in the line or you will be bumming as I am waiting for parts I called gast and spoke with them thinking it was something with the pump but come to find out it will not pass evan the smallest particulate. make sure u filter it. lesson learned and 400 bucks later and still no vacuum on 800 taps waiting for parts.