PDA

View Full Version : How much soap to use

Jrunning
02-19-2017, 05:24 PM
I have a new leader micRO and am doing the first wash. If I have a 10 gallon wash tank how much soap would it take to get the right ph? I have a ph meter but not sure how much to start with... Half cup, full cup, more or less. I know there are a lot of veriables just wondering if there a good place to start.

Russell Lampron
02-19-2017, 08:00 PM
Put in an ounce and check it. Keep adding small amounts until you get to ph 11. You probably won't need more than a couple of ounces.

adk1
02-19-2017, 08:56 PM
Where did you get the ph meter I guess I will need to get one of those too

Jrunning
02-19-2017, 09:21 PM
Thanks Russ!

Jrunning
02-19-2017, 09:23 PM
I had a old one, but I'm checking on a new one from my Leader dealer tomorrow.

Greensprings sugar
02-19-2017, 10:26 PM
1 tablespoon works for ph12 in 15 gal for me

wiam
02-20-2017, 02:51 AM
Depends on the soap. I think it takes more of the liquid than the powder.

Russell Lampron
02-20-2017, 05:28 AM
Where did you get the ph meter I guess I will need to get one of those too

I had a old one, but I'm checking on a new one from my Leader dealer tomorrow.

Check Amazon for the ph meter. They start around $15 there. I think the one from Leader is over $100.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-21-2017, 07:45 AM
Depends on if the soap is buffered or not. The superflow Green POWDER CDL sells is not buffered becasue it is organic approved and just takes a small amount. I use 1.5 tablespoons to get to PH 11 on 1 of 8" membrane but that can change slightly as season goes on.

KReinisch
01-18-2018, 06:32 AM
Maybe a stupid question but where do you check the PH?

red maples
01-18-2018, 07:01 AM
most of the powders and liquids will top out at a Ph of 12. even if you add more they won;t go over. the cheap way to go is to just get litmus test strips. just dip and test for color they are very accurate, they are super cheap and you can find them on line and bascom's has them for $26 for 2 rolls grainger has them at $13.00 for 1 roll I am sure you can find them for cheaper. I have yet to even go to my second roll in 3 years.

DrTimPerkins
01-18-2018, 09:13 AM
It's been quite a while since I've done an RO wash myself, but I seem to recall that you want the pH to be at the target when the wash is running or complete (but before the rinse). When you add soap to permeate water, it takes only a tiny amount to raise the pH. This is because there is essentially no buffering capacity to the permeate water. But as soon as that soap goes into the RO, any material in the membrane reacts with the soap, and if you only start with a little, you'll end up with very little cleaning effect. So you typically either need to start with an excess amount (which is one reason most soaps are buffered), or you need to measure the pH during the wash or at the end (but before the rinse cycle) to ensure that you had an adequate amount). This is why very often just a set amount of (buffered) soap is specified (for a given number of membranes), but if you measure the pH, it will take a LOT less to actually get the wash water (at the start) to get to a certain pH. The amount to get the permeate to that pH level is often not enough to get an adequate wash. Note also that different membranes and ROs can use different types of soaps, with different target pHs and temperatures, and wash/rinse times and volumes. Not all soaps are buffered and not all are appropriate for all membranes. It's generally best to stick with the products and procedures the manufacturers recommend.

wiam
01-18-2018, 10:06 AM
Maybe a stupid question but where do you check the PH?

In the wash tank.

KReinisch
01-18-2018, 10:55 AM
In everyone experience do you usually need to bring PH down or up?

wiam
01-18-2018, 02:52 PM
In everyone experience do you usually need to bring PH down or up?

Up for a soap wash. My permeate runs pH of 6-7.

Bricklayer
01-18-2018, 04:40 PM
I mix the soap in the wash tank with warm permeate. Can't remember what temp. But a couple degrees lower then the membrane wash temp. Stir it around till it dissolves. Then check it. When it's ph 12 I run it through ROfor a minute or 2. Test PH. Then usually add a tiny pinch of soap to raise ph back to 12. And let the permeate and concentrate cycle into the wash tank until it reaches the max temp +1 degree then the RO auto shuts off. At the end of last season I left the soap soak for 2 days in the RO. Then did final rinse.