PDA

View Full Version : A Textbook Day for Sugaring in Southern CT

Sapling
02-19-2017, 08:03 AM
It's 45 degrees at 9:00AM, the ground is covered with 8" of snow, sap is pouring from the trees, tanks and pans are full from yesterday's work. For we hobbyists, this is why we do this!

Samuelvw1
02-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Where r u located
Sam
Shelton

Sapling
02-19-2017, 08:16 PM
Where r u located
Sam
Shelton

Bethany, New Haven County.

mspina14
02-19-2017, 08:41 PM
It was 55 degrees in Old Lyme, CT today.

Sap was flowing hard.

I just hope we get some more cold weather soon. If it stays unseasonably warm like this for a long period, the sap will stop.

Mark

Woodsrover
02-20-2017, 07:24 AM
Taking tomorrow off work as my son is off of school. Will boil as much as I can thru tomorrow night and will probably dump sap until Friday. This week's weather doesn't look great and I don't want to end up with two tanks full of spoiled sap.

swampyankee
02-20-2017, 07:53 AM
I'm a little worried about this weather

If I collect daily an store in an tote I have packed in snow, thoughts on if my sap will keep until next weekend?

DaveB
02-20-2017, 12:16 PM
I'm a little worried about this weather

If I collect daily an store in an tote I have packed in snow, thoughts on if my sap will keep until next weekend?

Sap can spoil the longer longer it sits but keeping it cold will help. I only boil 3-4 days a week and keep my tanks packed in snow and in the shade which helps. I usually only make darker syrup but that's OK with me and my customers!

Bottom line, if you can't boil until this weekend, I think you will be OK if the tanks are packed in snow. Tonight will be in the teens so that will help with ice formation but I would get to it ASAP on Saturday.