PDA

View Full Version : Lewis county

dakotasky
02-19-2017, 05:55 AM
Just wondering if how many out there in Lewis County are tapping? Weather looks pretty favorable for the upcomming week. Snow is still pretty deep in the woods here, but I was able to break open my roads yesterday with the tractor...( 4 wheel drive is handy thing) and by late afternoon I was starting to tap a few trees. I only got out 50 buckets, hoping to continue today. I try not to get in a big hurry myself and usually wait til closer to March. Still got to get the Evap and everything else ready today.

BnSmaple
02-19-2017, 07:34 PM
All my taps are in ran decent today about 1.5 gallon per tap

dakotasky
02-20-2017, 06:41 AM
Finished tapping yesterday and got the sugarhouse and evap ready. Sap ran decent here as well, if I would have had all of them in, but as a result only collected 50 gallons. Im scaling back a little this and put out only 78 taps for this year year as it gets hard to keep up with working 2 jobs. I need to keep it at the hobby level and have fun with it. I plan to expand in about 4 years when i'm Retired from my regular job and then I'll be able to tap more. Ive got 400 trees on my own property, so unless I buy or lease more thats about all i can get. I did 130 couple years ago on my NGM 2X4 Evap, and its too much for that little one to handle. last year I did 106. Its a lot of hours of boiling!

Ranger93
02-20-2017, 06:57 AM
Finished tapping yesterday in Harrisville. Looks like a good stretch of weather.

dakotasky
02-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Yes it does look like we'll all be busy this week. I tested my sap yesterday and i'm only running at about 1.5 % sugar content in this first run. Seems lower than usual. Anyone else test sap yet to see what they have?

Jmsmithy
02-21-2017, 09:50 PM
I'm in the Park, Herkimer Cty. Planning on tapping Thursday. Looks like good week but then appears to be freezing up again later next week...