PDA

View Full Version : Turning down bulk tank temp

markcasper
02-18-2017, 09:04 PM
I have access to a working bulk milk cooler and cannot figure out how to turn down the temp to cool concentrate. Its a 735 gallon Sunset flat top. There appears to be a thermostat of some sort on the back of the tank, but no knob or dial to adjust. There is 2 gauge looking things on the compressor with 2 tiny red needles that can be adjusted up or down with a screw driver, nothing happened when I played with these. Also nothing happened when I hit the manual button on the tank. The tank runs and was in use until last November, just need to know how to get it turned down to cool to 30 degrees instead of 40. Thanks

Bucket Head
02-18-2017, 09:41 PM
I'm no refrigeration expert, but on my Mueller 500 gal. flat top there is a dial with the temp. scale thats adjusted with a screwdriver. The temp. was turned down to 35 on mine with that. The manual button may be for the agitator motor, not anything with the temperature setting.
Maybe its low on refrigerant? Maybe it can only get down to 40 because of that? I found that it pays to have a dairy refrigeration service look things over and make repairs. Nothing annoys more than having warm sap when its supposed to be cold sap.
Good luck with it. Let us know what the issue ends up being.

Steve

markcasper
02-18-2017, 10:15 PM
Maybe its low on refrigerant? Maybe it can only get down to 40 because of that? I found that it pays to have a dairy refrigeration service look things over and make repairs. Nothing annoys more than having warm sap when its supposed to be cold sap.
Good luck with it. Let us know what the issue ends up being.

Steve The tank was working daily until November, I doubt its low on coolant. And the tank was never moved, its in the milkhouse, nothings been touched. I am going to go back and take another look. I have been trying to get a hold of our electrician/refrigeration guy but have been unsuccessful so far. I had a friend that was possibly going to bring me sap tomorrow, but just found out that he is going to take to another neighbor so I'll have a little more time to figure this one out.

markcasper
02-19-2017, 04:51 AM
I investigated further and it turns out the thermostat looking box, was indeed a thermostat, but you had to loosen a screw and take the cover off. Found the dial and to my disappointment the dial is already turned down as cold as it will go. Don't know what to do now? The dial has a stop on it so I am trying to figure out how guys are getting theirs down to 30 degrees. I mean 40 is ok, but its not going to keep long term, meaning more than a day or two at most.

BAP
02-19-2017, 05:53 AM
It should go colder than 40 degrees because milk has to be kept at 36-37 degrees. If not the milk plants won't accept it. As far as getting it to go to 30 degrees it is going to be hard because it will form ice on the cold metal where it is refrigerated. The little needles on the compressor is the high and low pressure shut off settings. Don't play with those unless you know what you are doing.

O3C
02-19-2017, 05:54 AM
I really think you need some body to come put coolant in. Also double check the temp of the sap with another thermometer, that thermostat may be bad. If you don't want to spend any money, just put some ice blocks in it , remember this is insulated, it will hold temp better than a tote. We cooled milk to 38 degrees, I think if you are getting it to 40, you should be fine. Ron

maple flats
02-19-2017, 06:49 AM
If it only goes down to 40, there is an issue, either the control or freon or even the thermometer . If a compressor (refrigeration) is not used often enough seals can dry out and leak. Nov. to now may possibly have been too long.