PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Woodville

SeanD
02-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Well, not all of them, but about 70 on tubing so far. Just taking a lunch break and recharging the drill. Trees are gushing. Today's run will go to the ground and I'll start collecting tomorrow. I like the disposable CVs, but it does kinda stink having to visit each tap twice. I have to remind myself this season will be measured in weeks, not hours. I imagine everyone is in the woods today. Good luck to all.

Sean

SeanD
02-18-2017, 06:51 PM

No 3/16" straight connector? No problem.

Actually, I was kicking myself when I realized I didn't have one when I found some squirrel damage. Luckily, I was able to Mickey Mouse something together. Not exactly textbook, but it works.

psparr
02-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Gotta do what you gotta do

SeanD
02-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Much better now.

mike103
02-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Looks good Sean, beautiful day out there and trees are in high gear! Enjoy

SeanD
02-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Among other things, the heat points out my problems with my mainline. I was working on fixes and had to come in and put shorts and a t-shirt on. It's way too hot to be doing anything related to sugaring. Tanks are rinsed and the front pan is soaking in vinegar. We need a hard frost to start things back up.

eustis22
02-24-2017, 12:59 PM
the next week is not looking good

mike103
02-24-2017, 02:08 PM
Looking long range into first couple weeks of march, looks cold again, unfortunately wife wants the pool opened. ....

sappytapper
03-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Looking long range into first couple weeks of march, looks cold again, unfortunately wife wants the pool opened. ....

Cold is definitely appropriate for this weekend. I was hoping to boil tomorrow, but the backyard is going to be MIGHTY frigid with temps hitting the teens as a high and the wind whipping up...

SeanD
03-07-2017, 08:08 PM
We're still thawing out in Woodville. The trees are just starting to get going again, now. That was a major cold snap we had this weekend. The lines from my tanks and pumps finally thawed out and I boiled off what I had, but I still have huge blocks of ice in my IBC totes.

Another deep freeze is on the way for this weekend. I won't make the mistake of trying to boil in that cold again. The major upside to all this cold is the season looks good through next week. I'd much rather have days off from sugaring for cold than the heat.

sappytapper
03-07-2017, 08:33 PM
Yeah I didn't check my buckets tonight when I got home, but there definitely wasn't much to speak of yesterday evening. I assume the same thing you're alluding to, took more than one day to thaw out a bit.

Hopefully a good run over the next few days before the temps get REAL low again in our area this weekend. :)

SeanD
03-16-2017, 03:26 PM
Things are starting to drip in Woodville again. Nothing to collect yet, but at least things are moving again. Weather looks really good ahead including some deep freezes. Strange season for sure, but strange in a good way at least.

johnpma
03-16-2017, 07:21 PM
Looks like we may get a shot at a good run next week as well Took a walk out back tonight to do some clearing and shoveling Had 23" of snow in the woods ugh! Good luck next week!!

GV2
03-17-2017, 06:24 AM
Looks like we may get a shot at a good run next week as well Took a walk out back tonight to do some clearing and shoveling Had 23" of snow in the woods ugh! Good luck next week!!

We got 21 inches down in Granville. Over the last 2 nights I groomed my main trails with my snowmobile & drag, stomped out snowshoe trails to all my buckets and along my tubing so I can inspect things. I also dug out a couple of tubing sections that go under and out bridges. I know, sounds crazy, but I enjoy the exercise. Have not had a drop of sap since last Friday. I tapped Feb. 18th. I will be curious to see if any taps will have gone dormant with this long freeze. Any thoughts on this? Curious to know what sugar camp/stand chores you folks go though after a big snow storm.

WESTMAPLES
03-17-2017, 07:32 AM
if your taps are going to run again is anyones guess, hopefully they hold out for you awhile longer. as for clearing the 20 ins of snow around sugarbush & sugar house, i grab a shovel and jump on my ih dozer to clear things up, its kinda fun makes me feel like a kid again playing with my toys lol

SeanD
03-30-2017, 06:13 PM
Still dribbling in Woodville. I thought I'd be completely done by now, but I've picked up about 70-80 gallons since I boiled on Tuesday. Most of the buckets are still running and the vac is keeping that line going. The gravity lines are pretty much done. I might be able to squeeze out a few more drops this weekend and that will probably do it.

If anyone nearby is calling it quits and you have decent sap coming in, send me a PM.

sappytapper
04-03-2017, 07:56 AM
All my my buckets except for one or two seem to have pretty much stopped as of this weekend. Looks like it's coming to a close in our area.

Biz
04-03-2017, 09:14 AM
I collected about 40 gallons last night and sap is still running. Got a good freeze last night so more sap today.
The first two lines I set out 6 weeks ago are slowing down, one has stopped. Next year the drops will get replaced. The brand new line I put up at the same time is running the best. Buckets which were set out last are running well but there are only 10 of them.
Probably going to be shy of last years total but I know I made some mistakes that are correctable for next year relating to taphole sanitation (like not cleaning my lines last spring... oops!) so it was another learning year for me. My three S3 vacuum controllers worked out great.

Dave

SeanD
04-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Same here in many ways. Just touched 32 last night and will be 60ish today. I'll boil off what I get and be done. Sap was up this year, by syrup was down - mistakes also playing a big part. Some too painful to put in writing.

SeanD
04-03-2017, 06:21 PM
That's all she wrote. I ended the season with another loss. I had 110 gallons of raw sap for today, but the sweet I pulled from the pan and kept in buckets from the last boil went ropey. I thought I was good having it packed in snow, but in hindsight I should have put it in the chest freezer. Seventeen gallons of sweet gone. I should be happy it went bad in the buckets and not in the pan.

I was able to process the raw sap and get what I had boiled. Tomorrow, I'll pull it off the back pan and finish it on the front.

sappytapper
04-04-2017, 10:16 AM
That's all she wrote. I ended the season with another loss. I had 110 gallons of raw sap for today, but the sweet I pulled from the pan and kept in buckets from the last boil went ropey. I thought I was good having it packed in snow, but in hindsight I should have put it in the chest freezer. Seventeen gallons of sweet gone. I should be happy it went bad in the buckets and not in the pan.

I was able to process the raw sap and get what I had boiled. Tomorrow, I'll pull it off the back pan and finish it on the front.

Oof, that's a bummer, sir... Sorry to hear it. Hope this evening goes smoothly!