PDA

View Full Version : Does a change in buds signal sap flow?

Mvhomesteader
02-17-2017, 04:15 PM
As I was sitting outside today I noticed that the buds on some sugar maples as well as a few red maples are larger than they were last week. Not hugely different, but notable. Is this a clear sign that sap is flowing? We are on a south to southeast facing slope. Time to tap? I'm in central Maine outside Augusta.

DrTimPerkins
02-18-2017, 08:17 AM
As I was sitting outside today I noticed that the buds on some sugar maples as well as a few red maples are larger than they were last week. Not hugely different, but notable. Is this a clear sign that sap is flowing?

1. No, a change in buds doesn't signal sap flow.

2. The buds have always been there. You're probably just taking more notice of them now. They may have swollen an incredibly tiny amount, but it would not likely be perceptible at your location yet. Swelling indicates uptake of moisture. Once that happens the buds are highly susceptible to freezing. Swelling buds at this time of year (in northern areas) would be fatal to those buds.

3. You should tap when the weather forecast is scheduled to have a number of days in the upper 30's to low 40's and nights in the mid-20's. That can be adjusted based on the number of taps you have. If you have 10....wait until it is time. If you have 10,000....better get started early. Easiest way might be to watch for buckets appearing on trees in your area.

Mvhomesteader
02-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the information! We've got favorable weather this week so I will probably get some taps in.

3bsmaine
02-19-2017, 01:01 PM
Are there any published images/pictures of Red maple buds at the very last stage before producing buddy syrup (maybe a slight chance) ant then images of buds that are in the very early stages of where buddy syrup might occur. In other words, the "fine line.'

DrTimPerkins
02-20-2017, 07:51 AM
Are there any published images/pictures of Red maple buds at the very last stage before producing buddy syrup (maybe a slight chance) ant then images of buds that are in the very early stages of where buddy syrup might occur. In other words, the "fine line.'

There are published photos for sugar maple, but not for red maple. I don't think this publication is available online however. I guess I'm a bit skeptical of how useful this would be. The sap is either buddy or is not. In general, once the buds start to swell appreciably and green starts to show, it will almost surely be buddy. We saw this in 2012....as soon as the SUGAR MAPLE buds started swelling, the buddy flavor appeared. With red maple, what many people first see is flower buds. These don't seem to affect flavor as much as leaf buds, but they happen pretty closely in time sequentially. This "fine line" in nature is rather difficult to pinpoint when you have some trees that have started to bud and some that still have tight buds....it all gets smeared together and the fine line becomes a rather thick smudge.

Mvhomesteader
02-21-2017, 07:39 PM
Tim: hopefully you see this additional question. If buds swell due to an uptake of moisture, is that moisture just straight water or is it sap, which is primarily water?

Galena
02-21-2017, 07:45 PM
Tim: hopefully you see this additional question. If buds swell due to an uptake of moisture, is that moisture just straight water or is it sap, which is primarily water?

Uhm I'm guessing it would be sap. And btw red maples bud sooner than sugars. My reds, which I don't tap, will bud 3 weeks earlier than the sugars which often stay tightly budded right up til the very end.