PDA

View Full Version : Re-Bottling last years syrup

dblact38
02-16-2017, 08:59 PM
I have some syrup in a large jar that I would like to put into smaller bottles and give to friends. The smaller bottles are right out of the box, the syrup was in my freezer could I just bring the syrup to room temperature and re-bottle or sterilize the bottle with boiling water or should I warm the syrup to 180deg then bottle? Also I have fresh syrup that Is room temperature that I would like to do the same thing can I just sterilize the bottle with boiling water or warm up the syrup to 180 degrees appreciate any input Thanks Gary

psparr
02-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Best solution is to bring syrup up to 180 slowly as to not form much new niter. Then bottle it. Your other option is to just bottle it and tell whoever gets it to refrigerate it and use it within a month or so.

dblact38
02-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Thanks psparr ill try it out this weekend and hopefully I wont get any niter in the bottles

valleyman
02-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Best solution is to bring syrup up to 180 slowly as to not form much new niter. Then bottle it. Your other option is to just bottle it and tell whoever gets it to refrigerate it and use it within a month or so.

I've re bottled like that for years. 180-185 no niter. As a personal preference, I like to give my bottles/jugs a hot water rinse out before bottling.