PDA

View Full Version : Supreme 2x4 home made float

5 Oaks
02-16-2017, 09:20 AM
First year with a "real" evaporator. I am trying to help myself keep a constant level of sap in pan. After looking on line at videos and much trial and error I came up with this. The one in the pan I have tested. I also put one in the "preheat" pan in hopes if I keep that level low it will preheat a little better.

Side question, what level do you run your sap? I have this set up to keep it 1 1/2 to 2 inchs. I have read some run their pans much lower.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/haysphotography/32082750504/

psparr
02-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Seems like it should work well. Might get a little grief about the moonshine cans, but not from me.

The level in the pan is up to you, I'd keep it 1-1 1/2 till your used to how she acts. Then take it as low as your comfortable with.

5 Oaks
02-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Thanks! Honestly I am nervous at 2 to 2.5! Tad scared of burning the pan. Sadly the moonshine cans cost me about 29.00 each, took a whiff, about passed out, and dumped it! The cans are stainless, so i thought that may get me a little forgiveness. :)

psparr
02-16-2017, 01:25 PM
You'd be fine at an inch. Just keep an OSB handy.

maple flats
02-17-2017, 06:15 AM
If you design your float box to set outside the evaporator with a connection to feed the sap, you will be less affected by the rapid boil in the pan. In fact on mine there are 2 compartments in the float box and 2 ports join the pan. One is where the sap enters and flows into the flue pan, the other has a second port to the flue pan and the float sets in there. That way it is more stable and the level control is more constant.
My old Leader 2x6 had a tray over the flues where the sap entered and the float sat in the outside channel. It was reversible. That way the steam warmed the sap before it went into the flue pan.

5 Oaks
02-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Thats my problem, the Supreme 2x4 pan isn't set up for a float box. The corner has a hole for the thermometer and a drain. If I could do a float, and could afford it, I'd go that way. Guess that gives me a reason to upgrade in a few years!

5 Oaks
02-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Happy to say that with one adjustment to the pan float it maintained 1 inch, just about exactly, for 6 hours of boiling! Beyond happy with that. Boiled off 90 gallons this weekend, still pretty darn nervous, but getting better.

steve J
02-20-2017, 01:33 PM
My 2x4 operates best at about 3/4 of an inch but you got to stay attentive and if it gets over an inch the boil rate drops considerably!

Mikemartin274
02-22-2017, 04:52 PM
I started with my new supreme pan last year at two inches. It's not the way to go it will boil but not to full potential. The other problem I had with it that deep is it took 175 gallons to draw off and by that time it was a darker grade.. I did much better at 1" at times was doing over 20gph. Not bad the dealer told me to expect 12"
Do what your comfortable with. And don't forget to keep a pale of SAP ready to dump in if it gets hairy.

5 Oaks
02-24-2017, 09:27 AM
I have kept it at about 1 inch. Problem I have is when the sap is about finished the level at the drain is to low to come out of the drain valve. At first I was in a panic thinking that the valve had gotten full of sugar. Raised the level and was able to drain. I am getting more and more excited and a little less nervous. Thanks for all the help.

Mikemartin274
02-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Haha yeah. That happened to me yesterday. It'll get there and as soon as you ready just feed it SAP really fast it will push it out!