PDA

View Full Version : Excessive bubbling in front pan

newmod
02-16-2017, 08:30 AM
I am using a Smoky lake hybrid pan 2x5. It seems like I have been boiling forever and haven't had a draw yet. The front pan gets to bubbling way to high, probably 5 inches of bubbles and i am afraid the pan will burn with just having bubbles in there. I am running everything probably 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 sap level. What can I use as a defoamer? I dont have any commercial defoamer. What causes the excessive bubbling. Should defoamer not be used in the front pans? It seems the temp just wont reach 219. Ugh. Frustrated. I have boiled about 16 hrs at roughly 25 gallons per hour. I boiled last year and everything was fine

Thanks Newmod

Sugarmaker
02-16-2017, 08:46 AM
If the syrup is for your consumption only then some unsalted butter will work as a defomer. Sunflower of safflower oil will work too.
Sounds like your bubble are telling you that your close to syrup. What does the hydrometer say? What is the syrup temp?
Have you checked for sheeting off a flat scoop?
In general I would say your making syrup.
What did you see different last season?
Sorry more questions than answers.
Regards,
Chris

psparr
02-16-2017, 08:50 AM
You should add defoamer every time you fire and only in the flue pan. If it foams up in the syrup pan then add a few more drops each time. When you add defoamer in the syrup pan it causes the near syrup to travel backwards and mix even more. Watch the temps in the center channels in the syrup pan. You might be making syrup there and not in the last channel.

Sugarmaker
02-16-2017, 08:54 AM
Personally I use defomer in the front pan near the draw off to bring the syrup to that area. Any defomer should be used in moderation. A drop of Atmos is all I add every 8-10 min. Rear pan may get more than one drop depending on the foam.
Regards,
Chris

DrTimPerkins
02-16-2017, 09:45 AM
What causes the excessive bubbling.

Surface tension due to the high viscosity of the syrup results in bubbles. Oil reduces the surface tension so the bubbles can't form (or form as much). Sounds like you are close to syrup.

newmod
02-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Surface tension due to the high viscosity of the syrup results in bubbles. Oil reduces the surface tension so the bubbles can't form (or form as much). Sounds like you are close to syrup.

The hydrometer has been reading about 51 for hours. If I use defoamer in the front pan, will that keep the hydrometer from reaching the correct level.

DrTimPerkins
02-16-2017, 11:35 AM
If I use defoamer in the front pan, will that keep the hydrometer from reaching the correct level.

No. I assume you're using a hydrometer cup and correcting the reading for temperature? When was your hydrometer calibration last checked?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-16-2017, 11:44 AM
The dirtier or more scale the front pan has on it the worse it will foam too. Swapping pans every boil will help this a lot.

DrTimPerkins
02-16-2017, 12:04 PM
The dirtier or more scale the front pan has on it the worse it will foam too. Swapping pans every boil will help this a lot.

Yes, this is correct. It is usually indicated by lot of very fine small bubbles. Time to change pans or clean the pans before they scorch.

newmod
02-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Yes, this is correct. It is usually indicated by lot of very fine small bubbles. Time to change pans or clean the pans before they scorch.

It is just a hydrometer and a regular cup. What i do is boil until i reach the correct viscosity on hydrometer and then set my thermometer to that so i knopw exactly what temp to draw off then. I usually draw it off early and then finish it on propane burner to be precise. Is that ok or "normal" to do it that way

BAP
02-16-2017, 12:53 PM
When you check with your hydrometer are you using the first syrup that comes out of the valve? Sometimes the first bit that comes out isn't quite syrup but a little bit behind it is syrup. Also, if your hydrometer cup is cold when you fill it the syrup cools off enough to give you an incorrect reading. I hang mine on pan devider to keep it warm in the steam. It helps get the correct reading unless you have a Murphy cup the corrects for temperature.

newmod
02-16-2017, 01:24 PM
When you check with your hydrometer are you using the first syrup that comes out of the valve? Sometimes the first bit that comes out isn't quite syrup but a little bit behind it is syrup. Also, if your hydrometer cup is cold when you fill it the syrup cools off enough to give you an incorrect reading. I hang mine on pan devider to keep it warm in the steam. It helps get the correct reading unless you have a Murphy cup the corrects for temperature.

It is not a murphy cup. My cup is either hanging on the inside of the finish pan or setting on top of my pre-heater directly above the steam. I think I am just going to pull my pan and make sure it is clean. I know I either have burnt the pan or have excessive build-up on the front pan because it is a thud and not a metal sound when tapping the bottom. It will put me a few hours behind