PDA

View Full Version : Will I need auilary heat in sugarhouse now?

daddy
02-15-2017, 08:07 PM
I have replaced standard wood fired arch with a new air tight one. The old arch gave off enough heat to heat the sugarhouse, will an air tight still give off enough to heat same or will I need to add another heat source?

Sugarmaker
02-15-2017, 08:56 PM
My guess is that your correct in your assumptions. I have been in a couple cold sugarhouse. I loose some heat out the sides on the old King arch, but on a snowy cold day like today, it felt real good to have the heat from the arch.
Regards,
Chris

MISugarDaddy
02-16-2017, 04:57 AM
It will make a difference. Last year we switched to an airtight, insulated front, 2' x 6' evaporator from a 2' x 4' non-insulated front evaporator and it made a big difference in the temperature in the sugarhouse. Gary

maple flats
02-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Maybe, why not try a year and decide. You may just want to get rid of some of the air leaks, but you still need the cupola open and at least some air in down lower.

Jolly Acres Farm
02-16-2017, 02:54 PM
I insulated my arch well along with firebrick. After a hard 12 hour run you can hold your hand on the arch still. When the wife comes out I run a small heater for her so she's comfortable. Short story is happy wife = happy life....😊

Michael Greer
02-16-2017, 04:44 PM
It seems kind of silly to insulate the arch (presumably to save fuel), and end up needing to put in a heater for the room.