PDA

View Full Version : How Long?

Zamboni Driver
04-03-2007, 03:14 PM
Here is my question for those in the know, How long before you are completely done tapping Trees? We have had an unseasonably warm spell for 3 weeks where no sap ran. Now we go back to winter with acold snap. Will the sap still be good or are we too late? Some of the trees have budded out nicely while others are still tight. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks Jim

danno
04-03-2007, 05:28 PM
I've got the same question but afraid I already know the answer. We had several cold nights this past week (low 20's). Should have been perfect sap weather, but received literally almost no sap. I was getting better (but yellow) sap earlier in the week with lows in the 40's. I think they are dried out and done. I'm keeping mine in for the cold spell, but am not optomistic they will run any more.

My sugar maple buds are all still closed.

brookledge
04-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Once the buds pop even if the sap runs it will make bud syrup and will be bitter. If you start boiling the sap you will know by the smell.
Keith

cheesegenie
04-04-2007, 11:06 AM
My father always said syrup season is done when you hear the frogs at
night.That usually is right, around here, maybe not in other areas though.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
04-04-2007, 03:27 PM
i pulled all my taps on 3/27/07. Was a short season for us on the east side of michigan. Keep us posted if it runs or not. thanks
RICH
CAPAC MI

Sugarmaker
04-04-2007, 08:36 PM
When I gathered the last night the peepers were singing!

We have the first run, the moth run, the ant run, the frog run and the last run, among and amidst those we make syrup as quick as we can.;)

Sugarmaker

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I heard peepers here in Jan.