PDA

View Full Version : Black flakes in sap

Cedar Eater
02-15-2017, 01:17 PM
I thought I had cleaned out my 3/16" saplines well at the end of last season, but I got some black flakes coming out of the line when the flow first started yesterday. I know to dump out some of the first sap that runs, but if the flakes don't stop coming, is it safe to boil those flakes and will they hurt the taste of the syrup? They will eventually get filtered out, but if they'll cause any trouble I want to know before I boil. TIA

motowbrowne
02-15-2017, 01:29 PM
I'm sure it'd be fine either way, but why not filter the sap before you boil it?

Cedar Eater
02-15-2017, 05:12 PM
I'm sure it'd be fine either way, but why not filter the sap before you boil it?

I screen the sap through a fine mesh stainless steel strainer, but I think this black stuff will just break up and go through. It isn't very sturdy.

Maple Man 85
02-15-2017, 05:22 PM
If anything filter it through a cheese cloth before the sap hit the pan.

Cedar Eater
02-15-2017, 06:55 PM
If anything filter it through a cheese cloth before the sap hit the pan.

You say, "If anything". What I would like to know is, is anything necessary? I can't be the only one who's ever had a little black gunk wash out of tubing.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-15-2017, 07:10 PM
You say, "If anything". What I would like to know is, is anything necessary? I can't be the only one who's ever had a little black gunk wash out of tubing.

filter it before you boil it, know doubt its mold no sense taking a chance that it will flavor your syrup. yes anybody that has tubing usually has some of this when they start up