PDA

View Full Version : Arch board

Troutman10
02-15-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm not using anything between the brick and outside of my evaporator. Should i get some arch board or something similar? Its my first year with my 2x3 evaportor. The dimensions of my evaporator doesnt allow for much of anything between the steel outside and where the brick will be. Any help is appreciated.

motowbrowne
02-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Arch board or ceramic blanket would be an improvement. You'll waste less heat and your cooker won't be as hazardous. Ceramic blanket is considerably cheaper than arch board if you get it online.

mudr
02-15-2017, 11:24 AM
I fired up my 2x6 for the first time last weekend. It has board+brick in the firebox, with 2 inch blanket in the flue (no brick in the flues). I must say, I was a tad disappointed in how hot the sides of the firebox got, but the flue area stayed reasonably cool. I don't know how much of the difference was due to the fact that the firebox is the hottest, but I feel the blanket did a better job.

I mixed and matched the blanket and board because I had blanket from my old barrel rig, which I feel stayed cooler in the firebox with the blanket as well. I do like how nicely the board stays in place, however. I'm sure the board is still infinitely better than nothing.

Troutman10
02-15-2017, 09:56 PM
So is it that big a deal if I don't have any other insulation between the brick and evaporator? It could help the evaporation rate if I had arch board or ceramic blanket, but will it do any damage to the evaporator proper?