PDA

View Full Version : 2017 - Time to tap?

Peabbles
02-15-2017, 10:29 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum, located in york county. My two kids and I put in 17 taps for the first time last year. They had a blast collecting sap. We built a rocket stove to boil with and finished with 4 gallons of syrup. We're all excited for our second season and they ask every day if it's time to tap the trees. The forecast for the weekend and into next week looks to be warm enough. Is anyone else getting their taps and buckets in?

BRL
02-15-2017, 11:43 AM
I think I'm going to start tapping our lines this weekend!

Smrdc1974
02-16-2017, 05:00 PM
Looking at the long range forecast who is thinking that there maybe a decent run next week?

maineboiler
02-16-2017, 07:05 PM
I plan to tap this weekend. Snow shoes will be a must. I am hoping for early run Sunday ----

abbott
02-16-2017, 08:29 PM
As of this moment, I plan to wait it out. Sunday looks warm, but then a whole lot of borderline. Too many other things going on this year to tap to early and spend a lot of extra time for not a lot of syrup. But if I were in York county I'd probably try to have them all tapped by Sat. morning.

Dale Sparrow
02-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Start drilling for 450 taps tomorrow. Hope to have them all in by Saturday afternoon. Sebago lake area.

coastie
02-17-2017, 05:08 AM
I am in Berwick and I am tapping today after work.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-17-2017, 06:03 AM
Tapping has started in the big bush, 5400 taps to do so time to start. We'll wait a couple more weeks before we tap in Peru though. If I was in southern Maine, I'd get them out though.

Smrdc1974
02-17-2017, 06:30 AM
I am in Durham so I gather that all in southern/midcoast Maine should start tapping today/tomorrow. I missed the first run last year and do not want to make the same mistake this year.

Rozzy
02-17-2017, 06:45 AM
Anyone tapping in Central Maine? Like someone else said it looks like a good day or two and then a week of borderline temps for me. Think I'm going to hold off and see what the long range forecast looks like.

Dale Sparrow
02-17-2017, 08:06 AM
Was thinking would rush to have taps in before Sunday. Just looked at weather and going to be breezy Sat, Sun and Mon. It has been my experience that trees do not run when it is windy, no matter what the temps are. Still tapping but no rush, should have them all in before weekend is over.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-17-2017, 11:25 AM
We'll be starting tomorrow. "Note to self, you're already standing on four feet of snow. Don't tap to high!!!":o

hansel
02-17-2017, 05:21 PM
In the midcoast, I think I will wait. Forecast is a little cooler than southern areas and I am not quite ready. Supposed to cool down the first part of March.

abbott
02-19-2017, 11:58 AM
Well it's warm enough today for sap. If you had your taps in, how did they do? With the forecast temps trending up later in the week, I'll probably start tapping tomorrow.

West Sumner Sugar
02-19-2017, 08:42 PM
We are going to start tapping our Lewiston/Auburn trees this week. No huge hurry but with the nice weather, might as well get them in. Going to get tapping in Sumner in 2 weeks. Hoping to be heading up with 330 gallons of sap from town for the first boil.

bees1st
02-20-2017, 05:16 AM
My taps ran very well yesterday, vacuum ran well into the early morning. Still a few more to drill today, and some new lines to run .

maineboiler
02-20-2017, 01:27 PM
I drilled 45 taps on Sunday and they were running fast. I plan to drill another 100 or so by the end of the week if I can get the time. The run will probably slow down later in the week but I would say we are off and running. Time to scrape the snow off the holding tank and fire up the evaporator.

boondocker
02-20-2017, 07:18 PM
I set 2 tanks today on 2 of my pipeline systems, shoveled 3 feet of snow off of my main line for about 350' and got 150 tapped In, fired up the vacuum and watched the liquid gold start flowing In. Going over to pipeline #2 and drill in another 100 there and fire the vacuum there asap. Then off to #3 to fix some squirrel chews and finish getting that one set up. Hope to have all 575 in by the weekend and vacuum running on everything. This has quickly become more then a one man show.........

Dale Sparrow
02-21-2017, 06:08 AM
All tapped, vacuum up and running. :)

dadsmaplesugarshack
02-21-2017, 05:26 PM
tapped in 488 on snowshoes rough going vac running repaired some leaks 21" vac about 190 gallons in the tank looking good still need to tap another 150 or so hopefully this weekend time to fire up the evaporator this weekend :D

West Sumner Sugar
02-21-2017, 08:23 PM
138 taps in today. Sap was running hard, hardest I've seen in a while. Repaired some drops that the squirrels had a field day on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=401Fhd92qu8

RuralBrewer
02-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Tapped yesterday in Durham and things are running strong. 22 taps.

abbott
02-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Yup. It was time to tap a week ago, just didn't know it then. I got about 840 in Mon/Tues. Gave up on a few drops frozen to the ground. Had a little help tapping and shoveling mainlines. Today I went for supplies, fixed a broken mainline tee (at 9:30 with the sap gushing out at me), set up the vacuum pump, chased down leaks, cleaned tanks and set up the evaporator, etc. At last count we were at 760 gallons of sap. Let the fun begin! Should be able to put in a long day of boiling tomorrow.

Rozzy
02-22-2017, 07:30 PM
So I'm a little worried after tapping yesterday. First time tapping at my new house, got about 15 bags out yesterday afternoon. Tapped mostly reds and 3-4 sugar maples. The sugar maples are down in a low spot near a stream and were running when I tapped them. They all ran well today while I didn't get a drop out of any of the reds. There are a few down near the stream as well and nothing. Is there something I'm missing? I've never had this problem before on other sites and I know some trees don't run but this seems a little extreme.

SEB
02-22-2017, 07:39 PM
I tapped sugar maples today on my little spot on Blue Hill Bay. We moved here last year from NJ and I'm shocked to be tapping this month -- I really figured it would be March before it would be time for the sap to flow! But the 10 day forecast made it seem like the thing to do. I only tapped 10 trees, most of which are in full sun, and collected 10 gallons in just a few hours. I expect I'll be boiling this weekend!

bees1st
02-23-2017, 04:25 AM
So I'm a little worried after tapping yesterday. First time tapping at my new house, got about 15 bags out yesterday afternoon. Tapped mostly reds and 3-4 sugar maples. The sugar maples are down in a low spot near a stream and were running when I tapped them. They all ran well today while I didn't get a drop out of any of the reds. There are a few down near the stream as well and nothing. Is there something I'm missing? I've never had this problem before on other sites and I know some trees don't run but this seems a little extreme.
Red maples are fussy , some run some don't, some run at different times than sugars . They do run well on vacuum

Lukie
02-23-2017, 05:40 AM
Have 60 taps in Sugar maples only and collected 100 gallons will boil tonight little over 2% sugar should run good today ( I have plenty or reds I could tap but never get good sugar % out of them so I stick to Sugars only and most of my sugars are over 100Years old (good luck every one) .And yes it is a little early but I tapped last year at this time and made four gallons before some of the other shacks started .

wurmdert
02-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Tapped up 500 so far. Letting some clean out and collecting others. Sap running good.

Jal-Bear
02-23-2017, 08:22 PM
Working half a day on Saturday, then hopefully get most of them tapped in.

BlueMaple
02-23-2017, 09:15 PM
Hello SEB! Just wanted to say I am also a blue hill-ian! If you need a hand with anything let me know.

donka
02-24-2017, 12:15 PM
I put 40 taps in this past weekend. Collected around 100 gallons of sap already. Not bad for the first run of the season.

Page Meadow Maple
02-24-2017, 06:59 PM
Got 31 gallons of sap yesterday and 25 more today. Doing my first boil on the new Leader half pint as I type!

50 taps in as of tonight. All my neighbors here in Lowell, Maine, have been so helpful educating me about the sugaring process.

Atgreene
02-24-2017, 08:01 PM
We're still holding off. We missed this run, 5' of snow in 8 days put us behind and there was no way to get dug out, washed and tapped. Now, with no freezing temps in sight I'm glad we waited. We're washing and setting up, Sunday night might freeze? If so, we'll tap then. I don't see any point in tapping during 50 and 60° temps. Long term looks more normal, we'll hold out for that rather than build bacteria now. Never know with mother nature.

twitch
02-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Finally got everything ready to go boiled some water in evap today start tapping tomorrow . Going to put some 3/16 tails way down the hill see how that works maybe I can get caught up.

Revi
02-25-2017, 09:02 PM
We are about 2/3rds tapped. Slogged around in the mashed potato snow today and got most of the bush tapped. Tomorrow more fix ups, tapping, etc. It's the Church of the Holey Maple! It was fun, but we are really tired now!

Dale Sparrow
02-27-2017, 06:46 AM
Got all taps (430) in on the 17th 18th and the 19th. Got the vacuum running on the 20th and 21st. Did the first boil on the 24th and 25th, sweetened the pans and made 18 gallons. No sap over the weekend. Lost over a hundred gallons of sap to a loose plug on one of the collection tanks and lost a half gallon of syrup to a spill in the sugar shack. Other than that everything is going good. :)

chefchap
02-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Taping in casco today and tomorrow had to wait it out due to work can't wait to get out there

Atgreene
02-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Both the sugarbushes we tapped today are at 3%.

chefchap
02-28-2017, 05:32 AM
Well we got 140 in about 200 more to go love the 3/16 line it's was sucking it right out of the trees

Revi
02-28-2017, 08:26 AM
All tapped and the sap is pouring in!

We're boiling today and we'll sweeten the pan anyway.

Lukie
03-01-2017, 05:48 AM
70 taps in and running good made 3 gallons this weekend and working on 3 more

maineboiler
03-01-2017, 06:02 PM
350 gallons of sap collected so far. Yesterday it was at 3%, crystal clear. Looks like it will slow down for the rest of the week, but a good start so far. Hope to finish off about 7 gallons this weekend

RuralBrewer
03-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Yesterday it was at 3%
3%, nice! I am pulling 2.4 or so pretty consistently so far. Anyone in the Freeport/Pownal/Durham/L/A area want to part with (sell me) 5-6 gallons of syrup? I don't produce enough (yet) to do the fermentations I'd like to do with all things maple.

maineboiler
03-05-2017, 04:35 PM
It was a cold day yesterday but i was able to finish off 6 gallons of Golden Delicate. Everything is frozen solid but I am glad we got an early start to the season. Hopefully Wes will see a run by Tuesday.
What are you fermenting ruralbrewer, maple wine ?

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-05-2017, 06:08 PM
3%, nice! I am pulling 2.4 or so pretty consistently so far. Anyone in the Freeport/Pownal/Durham/L/A area want to part with (sell me) 5-6 gallons of syrup? I don't produce enough (yet) to do the fermentations I'd like to do with all things maple.

I go through Durham morning and night and can get a 5-5.5 gallon pail, usually right around 60 lbs of syrup. I won't be able to get some until next weekend though. If interested, PM me your number.

RuralBrewer
03-06-2017, 01:12 PM
What are you fermenting ruralbrewer, maple wine ?

Pretty much! Partially-reduced sap, wine yeast, staggered yeast nutrients (similar to a mead), and syrup feedings over a few weeks. Came out better than I thought it would, especially after a year of aging. I plan to experiment a lot more this season- barrel aging, coffee/vanilla/other infusions, and of course play with some bugs like brettanomyces which I am a big fan of with beer.

And back OT, weather this week is looking iffy at best. I'm eager to start boiling again.

mainline
03-06-2017, 06:29 PM
We can help you out with any extra syrup might need. Maine - Lee Maple on facebook you will be talking to Jess but tell her Rick said you could buy a five gallon jug for a reasonable price. Ilived in Pownal when I was a young fella and have a lot of family around there. Jess lives in Grey and just needs to know what you need and will get it at our sugarhouse for you.

RuralBrewer
03-07-2017, 06:43 AM
We can help you out with any extra syrup might need. Maine - Lee Maple on facebook you will be talking to Jess but tell her Rick said you could buy a five gallon jug for a reasonable price. Ilived in Pownal when I was a young fella and have a lot of family around there. Jess lives in Grey and just needs to know what you need and will get it at our sugarhouse for you.

Thank you!

maineboiler
03-07-2017, 07:35 PM
That sounds really interesting. Let me know if you have any samples for sale----

twitch
03-11-2017, 07:13 AM
Sure getting excited for this year's syrup season to start next weekend. Lol

bees1st
03-11-2017, 05:22 PM
This years weather sure is Bi -Polar !

BRL
03-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Sure getting excited for this year's syrup season to start next weekend. Lol

No Kidding! We tried to do a boil Friday night, hour an a half into it I noticed the feed into the float box looked like it was slowing down! Yup line frozen solid! Run out to the storage tank that was already half frozen to fill up a couple 5 gal. pails for the hour plus cool down! Weird year!

twitch
03-13-2017, 05:03 PM
I have heat tape on my pipe from head tank its a must makes for a bad situation when that pipe freezes up.

West Sumner Sugar
03-13-2017, 07:01 PM
Bi-polar for sure. The past 2 weekends have been a challenge to say the least. We emptied out 100 metal tins that were frozen solid. Been collecting sap the past 2 Thursday nights and storing it in my garage to prevent freezing till we can get it boiled over the weekend. First night collecting it was pouring, now 15-22 inches of snow coming. With any luck, this odd weather will lead us to an extended season and everyone will have big syrup numbers when all is said and done!