PDA

View Full Version : 1% sugar.

ericjeeper
02-14-2017, 06:46 PM
So far we have ran 735 gallons of sap. Made 9 gallons of finished syrup. The pans are still sweet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

maple flats
02-14-2017, 07:20 PM
That's much better than 1% sap. It would be about 1.1 if you had no sweet in the pans. Generally in the pans if sweetened you will have the average of about 25-35% sugar and that is a lot of sugar, depending on the volume of your pans. You may actually have almost 2% sap.
Do you have a long sap hydrometer, or a good test meter? The short ones are very tough to get a good reading on them, the long ones read to 1/10 of a %.

TonyL
02-14-2017, 08:13 PM
I feel your pain. Low sugar right from the tree, and trying to keep sap in this weather is taking its toll. This past weekend we averaged 58:1.

Sugarmaker
02-15-2017, 07:31 AM
Eric,
So whats the issue? Have you checked the sap and calibrated the sap hydrometer in water? Sounds like your doing good to me. From dry pans I boiled in 1200 gallons of sap and made 21 gallons of syrup. There is always work in process sap in the rig.
If you don't like the sugar content, find better trees! :) Sometimes easier said than done.
Sounds like your having fun! Hey a R.O. can take care of boiling low sugar content sap too! Just saying!
Regards,
Chris