PDA

View Full Version : Next weeks temps concerning

Snappyssweets
02-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Only collected 72 gallons total so far. It still running as I type this.
First boil tomorrow. Was looking at those temps for the next ten and I have to admit I cringed a bit.
I know its going to get cold again. Come on we are in Michigan, we may get a week or two even but we are no where out of the kitchen so to speak for bad weather yet.

Just seeing those temps makes me concerned we will bud out not just on our maples but on our fruit trees too. This could lead to a very ugly season for fruit trees.

Ed R
02-14-2017, 06:30 PM
If it was the upper 60s to 70 I would be a little concerned about buddy or metabolic syrup. Taphole sanitation would be my big concern. We have not tapped in mid Michigan yet. We are waiting until after this warm up to tap. I have tapped at the state line and will make more syrup through this weekend than I did all of last year. If I am done down here I will be able to help more up north.

mantispid
02-16-2017, 02:30 AM
I have a feeling we'll have a very short season overall this year because of this warm weather waking up the trees too soon. I suspect we'll see a lot of flow throughout March, but much of it will be useless because it'll be buddy.

The Sweet Spot
02-16-2017, 08:32 AM
We are in Petoskey and this weather is worrying me. It is 3 deg. here now and supposed to be 40 tomorrow. I am not tapping as the overnight temps are going to be high also. Overnight temps in the low to mid 30's for the first 3-4 nights. I do not think that the sap would flow well over the time span. It is going to be above freezing during the day for 8 days straight and 5 of those 8 will be above freezing at night. I wish there was a magical crystal ball that we could shake and tell us (Tap Now), but alas there is not. Here's to hoping this is some strange weather anomaly that is not a sign of our season to come.

ehausinfrats
02-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Was in Hillsdale Litchfield area this week and noticed the trees were budding out already. I'm a half hour east and so far mine haven't started to open. I guess time will only tell.