PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 vacuum question

SognSyrup
02-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Got our gravity lines running and so jacked to see all that spurting out at the collection tank.

My question is regarding air bubbles in the line...they are moving quickly, but there nonetheless. This must mean there's an air leak somewhere which is compromising maximum vacuum? We don't have our vacuum gauges set up yet.

Any tips on what to look for? I did find one T that was crunched and cut into tubing.

DrTimPerkins
02-14-2017, 10:09 AM
My question is regarding air bubbles in the line...they are moving quickly, but there nonetheless.

Not all air bubbles are leaks. Trees produce sap, but they also produce gases. If your vacuum is very high, chances are the bubbles you are seeing are from the trees, and not from leaks. If you're using polycarbonate spouts, look closely at where the sap comes out of the tree. You will see tiny bubbles (these were in the wood) moving slowly that expand in size as they exit the tree. That is normal. Unfortunately some people interpret these as leaks, so they hit the spout again with a hammer...but continue to see bubbles, so they hit them again, and again harder. By doing this you WILL eventually make leaks.

If it were a leak, you would see lots of somewhat bigger bubbles moving very fast in the line, starting at a junction in a tubing or connector somewhere. These are true leaks....and should be fixed.

SognSyrup
02-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Dr. Perkins...YOU...are the man. Appreciate it. Someday we'll do a field trip to UVM!