PDA

View Full Version : Final Boil Trouble

Jacob
02-13-2017, 09:18 PM
This is my third year at maple syrup and have never had trouble before when boiling on electric stove after finishing outside when it was getting very close to 219 degrees it would want to boil over a lot of foam and I would have to lift stock pot or turn down heat and this just kept repeating always before I could have the heat all the way up on high and when at 219 I was done this just has me stumped

Cedar Eater
02-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Foaming up indicates that you are getting real close to 67 Brix. Maybe you just never got close enough, before. There is vast variation in temperature measuring equipment and the actual optimum temperature varies with atmospheric pressure and relative humidity.

psparr
02-14-2017, 04:44 AM
The electric stove cycles from full blast hot to off. That's where most of your foaming issue is coming from. Try some defoamer, it will help some.

Manatawny
02-14-2017, 10:06 AM
Evergreen needles kill foam. Not sure why - maybe the oil?

I snap off a spruce branch before every boil, and whenever I'm getting foam, I dip the branch in the pan and run it through. Foam disappears.

(I normally then have to strain out a few needles. Smells Christmasy though ;-) )

DrTimPerkins
02-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Evergreen needles kill foam.

Evergreen needles have waxes on the outside of the needles that can act as anti-foaming agents. Despite this, I'd suggest NOT using them as they can impact an off-flavor to the syrup. Better to use a defoamer made specifically for syrup. If this is only for your personal or family use, then a smear of low-flavor vegetable oil or butter around the rim of the pan will help, or a drop of milk or cream (note however that milk, cream or butter should NOT be used by commercial producers who sell their syrup).

Jacob
02-14-2017, 10:51 AM
I want to thank everyone for there help I keep everything professional as if I were a business even though just small. Filtering and pre filters sold just for maple syrup I should of thought of the butter with all the baking I do but I will look into getting anti foam from supplier Thanks Again, I have noticed when people post at the bottom it shows through the years how they have progressed how do I add this to my profile

Evergreen needles have waxes on the outside of the needles that can act as anti-foaming agents. Despite this, I'd suggest NOT using them as they can impact an off-flavor to the syrup. Better to use a defoamer made specifically for syrup. If this is only for your personal or family use, then a smear of low-flavor vegetable oil or butter around the rim of the pan will help, or a drop of milk or cream (note however that milk, cream or butter should NOT be used by commercial producers who sell their syrup).

Bruce L
02-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Electric stoves are notorious for power surges,I use to boil the syrup for sugar and butter on the stove,had to stand and babysit it all the way,as the stove would boil over at one setting,then barely boil a few minutes later at the same setting. Now I use a propane stove to cook for syrup and butter,can get it set pretty quickly,then walk away

5 Oaks
02-14-2017, 12:12 PM
I have noticed when people post at the bottom it shows through the years how they have progressed how do I add this to my profile

PM sent to help with this issue. ;)

Jacob
02-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Thank You 5 Oaks for the time you took to write down every step I would of never figured it out

PM sent to help with this issue. ;)