PDA

View Full Version : CT Guys; I'm looking for pan and/or arch. Or a sap buyer

BSD
02-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Logan steel screwed me big time, they've been sitting on my plans for 3 weeks and today after a week of hounding them they flat out said they can't or won't build my pan for my oil tank arch.

So, i'm quite up the creek here with a very small paddle. My lines are run, but i haven't tapped yet since i don't have a way to boil the volume i was planning on this year.

Looking for a 3x4 pan but i can modify to fit what's available. Secondarily, i'm looking for a buyer for sap until i can get my situation remedied.

Matt

Calycanthus
02-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Where are you?

Maple1
02-14-2017, 04:42 PM
BSD
I have had Tom Betlan make several pans etc. They are located in Newtown and company name is Betlan Hoods. They are a great bunch of guys and specialize in Commerical / Residential kitchen hoods. Excellent work.

nicholastzito
02-14-2017, 09:05 PM
I have a 4x4 pan. You'll need to get some fittings slapped in there, but it's here. Might be a little warped. I got it as an extra when I bought my evaporator. I can dig it out of the snow tomorrow. I have to check on a logging job in newtown this week, so I could be in the area instead of having you drive out to Chaplin. Can send photos if you give me an email or a number to text.

-nick

Littlesap
02-15-2017, 09:30 AM
BSD, have you tapped yet and how much sap do you have? I have a small folded ss flat pan that you can use - you can boil 3-4 gallons at a time. I'm about to tap today and can also take the sap off your hands. I have a pickup but not a truck tank so we'd need to figure that out. Let me know, I'm in Newtown.

Helicopter Seeds
02-15-2017, 06:54 PM
How big is it? If he doesn't want it then I may be interested. I am in shelton.

BSD
02-15-2017, 09:06 PM
BSD
I have had Tom Betlan make several pans etc. They are located in Newtown and company name is Betlan Hoods. They are a great bunch of guys and specialize in Commerical / Residential kitchen hoods. Excellent work.thanks for the lead. their work looks very very impressive on their website.

BSD
02-15-2017, 09:07 PM
I have a 4x4 pan. You'll need to get some fittings slapped in there, but it's here. Might be a little warped. I got it as an extra when I bought my evaporator. I can dig it out of the snow tomorrow. I have to check on a logging job in newtown this week, so I could be in the area instead of having you drive out to Chaplin. Can send photos if you give me an email or a number to text.

-nickthanks, I think i'm going to look at purchasing a complete (used) unit in the effort of saving time to get up and running. my oil tank is nearly done, but not complete. and I'm so late in the season already I think it might be prudent to just pony up some $ and buy something ready to go.

BSD
02-15-2017, 09:10 PM
BSD, have you tapped yet and how much sap do you have? I have a small folded ss flat pan that you can use - you can boil 3-4 gallons at a time. I'm about to tap today and can also take the sap off your hands. I have a pickup but not a truck tank so we'd need to figure that out. Let me know, I'm in Newtown.I haven't tapped yet, but i have 4 lines of 3/16 NG run which should be around 80 trees (90/100 taps). at this point my plan is to tap tomorrow or friday and get the sap moving at least, hopefully get a evaporator going by the weekend. there is another member who'd like some sap as well if i can't process myself. I have two 275Gal totes that it'll be stored in, one in my truck and one in the woods.

BSD
02-17-2017, 10:00 PM
well, i got tapped today and picked up a new to me rig from a guy in Mass, tomorrow i'm hoping to get it put together and try to sweeten the pan

Helicopter Seeds
02-20-2017, 11:47 PM
Took a road trip Saturday with my understanding wife up to Bascom. The intent was to get a used evaporator pan, 2 x 6, to put on top of my brick arch. After seeing them, I realized that by the time I got the right fittings, resized my bricks, the season would be over. I ending up buying a new pan, 18 x 48 CDL. It would fit nicely, still give me room for one of my steam table pans. Set it up and ran Sunday, finally lit off at around 3 PM, it did not work as well as hoped, as I did not optimize the mounting. I had the small pan in the back, on a steel plate. the plate warped under heat, so all the smoke came through anyway, and the front of the new pan was not hot, due to the draft. Today I reversed it, welded up a couple plates and angles, and sealed it with stove rope. Had to add a pipe extension to the valve to clear the bricks, but saves me from buying the whole entire stove part as well. Plus I think my firebox is bigger.

BSD
02-21-2017, 07:04 AM
just as update, i ended up purchasing a 30"x10' second hand, and it is an absolute monster! fired up yesterday for the first time and put 225 gallons through it to sweeten the pan, and it's almost there @ 40gph comfortably, no blower. i suspect if i put a blower on it i'd get it up over 60. It eats an entire pallet every 12-15 minutes.

Mike Van
02-21-2017, 10:07 AM
any pics Matt?

killingworthmaple
02-21-2017, 11:42 AM
I have a extra new 18x24 Smokey Lake front pan if someone gets in a jam and needs something right away in CT.

Nathan
860-604-8115

BSD
02-21-2017, 01:22 PM
any pics Matt?155751557615577

pyro
02-23-2017, 09:55 PM
Has anyone gotten any pans made from the guy in Newtown? I'm curious if the prices are reasonable to maple equipment manufacturers? I'm looking for a 20 or 22 GA 2x3 flat pan.

Maple1
02-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Pyro
I use him all the time and several other friends have used him to make any size or style. He's a great guy