PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Users - timing the last firing

pls009
02-13-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm learning to make syrup on a 30X12 Vortex arch - I'm trying to figure out when I will need to stop firing the rig so that I time it correctly with my head tank level? I have practiced a couple times with water and it seems like I lose my boil within 20 minutes of my last firing. The bricks hold heat for several hours so I know that evaporation will still occur after the boil stops. Maybe the best thing to do is just keep adding straight water at the end - I just don't really want any concentrate left in the head tank but also not want to ruin anything either. Thanks for any advice from any of the experienced sugar makers out there. This really doesn't need to be Vortex specific.

Sugarmaker
02-13-2017, 10:51 AM
If your rig boils 100 GPH I would leave at least 50 gallons min after the last time you fire. That means you will have a half hour for the fire to die down. I like to add the extra sap to the pans when I shut down. I would not add water at any time unless its the end of the season. You are somewhat defeating the purpose of the R.O. by adding water. just use the 50 gallons of concentrate as the water. its all in all hot and ready to go the next time you start up.
My 2 pennies.
Regards,
Chris

Bruce L
02-14-2017, 11:30 AM
Trial and error,better to be on the sale side. I shut down with enough to run for about 25 minutes or so. Yes the bricks hold a lot of heat,as long as your crimps are still covered you're good,just need to make sure there is still enough to feed the pans during the boil. I have a mark on my tank of where last fire is,will have to relearn this year with the steam away though.

GeneralStark
02-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Trial and error for sure but several Traders suggested to me to leave the blower on until the fire is pretty much out. As the last load of wood slowly burns up you can add more air to keep the temp. up, but don't shut off the blower until the fire is out.

pls009
02-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the tips! I really appreciate them!

Brian Ryther
02-14-2017, 04:52 PM
I have a new Vortex this year too. I have boiled 5 times so far with it. My rig evaporates 500 gallons per hour. When I have about 100 gallons of concentrate in the head tank I switch to slab wood. I quit adding the slab wood when I have about 50 gallons of concentrate in the head tank. Because there is so much air going into the arch I have found that the wood burns down very quickly. The arch is mostly blanket with very little fire brick so it cools down pretty quickly. I am running the flue pan at 2 inches and the syrup pan also at 2 inches. That is way more liquid than can vaporized off during the cool down period. My method allows the last bits of concentrate to enter the flue pan while it is at a slow boil to a simmer. Both are hot enough to sterilize the raw concentrate.

Sugarmaker
02-15-2017, 08:09 AM
I have a new Vortex this year too. I have boiled 5 times so far with it. My rig evaporates 500 gallons per hour. When I have about 100 gallons of concentrate in the head tank I switch to slab wood. I quit adding the slab wood when I have about 50 gallons of concentrate in the head tank. Because there is so much air going into the arch I have found that the wood burns down very quickly. The arch is mostly blanket with very little fire brick so it cools down pretty quickly. I am running the flue pan at 2 inches and the syrup pan also at 2 inches. That is way more liquid than can vaporized off during the cool down period. My method allows the last bits of concentrate to enter the flue pan while it is at a slow boil to a simmer. Both are hot enough to sterilize the raw concentrate.

Bryan,
500 GPH!! NICE rig!
Regards,
Chris

Bruce L
02-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Brian,is that rate with a steam away,or is that standard boiling rate for the 5 X 14 ?

Brian Ryther
02-16-2017, 05:33 PM
Bruce, Just a pre heater, no steam away. And that is an average. I know we saw better than that the last time we boiled. The ro was working concentrate at 8gpm and the evap was sucking down the concentrate tank faster than it was being produced.