PDA

View Full Version : No vacuum needed!!

newmod
02-12-2017, 05:09 PM
We just finished running 200 taps on 3/16. 9 different runs into totes. top of each run to the bottom to the tote is 100 ft. in elevation. I am a little behind the 8 ball this season. we have missed some so far. we plan on running another 90 on 3 different runs, but then have to run them all into 3/8 as a main line. over to the tote. is that ok using 3/8 or do I need to go larger. It is all going to have that steep slope except the 3/8. is that ok ?

VT_K9
02-12-2017, 05:28 PM
I am not up on 3/16", but am interest and keep reading more in case I have an area where I can benefit from it and I can pass along information to others.

I don't believe the mainline should be involved with helping with vacuum in these cases like the 3/16" does itself. My concerns with smaller mainline is freezing of the sap....it does not take much of a sag or zig or zag to create an area susceptible to freezing. We found this to be true when we used 1/2" line or did not pull our 3/4" tight enough. We are at the cross over point for 3/4" to 1" now. We figure the extra diameter would help with vac transfer (we use vacuum) and reduce full pipe freezing. When we ran new mainlines we stepped up to 1" and then dropped our 1/2" on the laterals and are running 1" on the larger runs and 3/4" on the shorter.

If you have any mainline run now sight along it. Look at the smallest drop...it would not take much for that drop (droop) to allow full pipe freeze. Depending on sunlight you could loose most of the day.

Again I don't believe the intent with 3/16" line is to have the mainline help establish or keep a natural vacuum...

Mike

newmod
02-12-2017, 05:43 PM
We have plenty of vacuum on the 3/16. The idea of the 3/16 is to tie the 3/8 just to get it over to the tote. all the 3/16 come down the steep face of a hill but I have no place for the tote. There should be plenty of fall on the 3/8 down to the tote. WILL IT WORK ??? lol the idea is to not have all these 3/16 lines running across the hill to the tote.

I am not up on 3/16", but am interest and keep reading more in case I have an area where I can benefit from it and I can pass along information to others.

I don't believe the mainline should be involved with helping with vacuum in these cases like the 3/16" does itself. My concerns with smaller mainline is freezing of the sap....it does not take much of a sag or zig or zag to create an area susceptible to freezing. We found this to be true when we used 1/2" line or did not pull our 3/4" tight enough. We are at the cross over point for 3/4" to 1" now. We figure the extra diameter would help with vac transfer (we use vacuum) and reduce full pipe freezing. When we ran new mainlines we stepped up to 1" and then dropped our 1/2" on the laterals and are running 1" on the larger runs and 3/4" on the shorter.

If you have any mainline run now sight along it. Look at the smallest drop...it would not take much for that drop (droop) to allow full pipe freeze. Depending on sunlight you could loose most of the day.

Again I don't believe the intent with 3/16" line is to have the mainline help establish or keep a natural vacuum...

Mike

psparr
02-12-2017, 06:39 PM
If that's what you have on hand try it. If there's more than a couple percent slope you may be ok.

Kettle Ridge
02-12-2017, 06:42 PM
I had the same idea, but then decided against it. How do you keep the 3/8 line tight enough to act as a mainline? Normally your mainline is wired tight. So instead I now have a whole bunch of separate 3/16 line running to the tote.

TRAILGUY
02-12-2017, 07:05 PM
THAT WHAT i DID 3/16 ALL THE WAY AND HAD TO CHANGE ONE THAT WAS NOT ALL 3/16 ALL THE WAY