PDA

View Full Version : 4.2 from silvers?

bprifle01
02-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Tapped yesterday. Collected this morning. All I have are silver maples available to tap. Just out of curiosity, I checked brix on all of the buckets. The first one was 4.2, the second read 5.0, the third was 3.7 and the fourth was 2.4. Is this really possible? The outdoor temp was right at 38*F, so calibration should have been right. This is the first year I've had a sap hydrometer so was curious to see what I might be getting. If this is for real, I hope it keeps up for a long time!

RileySugarbush
02-12-2017, 01:24 PM
We have some friends that bring sap from silvers and get very high sugar content like that some times. It makes great syrup, but we are cautious a little later in the season. It gets buddy very early.

n8hutch
02-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Do they have Big Big Crowns/Tops? Big field trees with alot of Branches can get you some great sap.

bprifle01
02-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Do they have Big Big Crowns/Tops? Big field trees with alot of Branches can get you some great sap.

These are all yard trees in a more or less east/west line without much competition from anything else.

bprifle01
02-12-2017, 05:49 PM
We have some friends that bring sap from silvers and get very high sugar content like that some times. It makes great syrup, but we are cautious a little later in the season. It gets buddy very early.

Yeah, I know how early they can bud. Last year I was done by the middle of March.