PDA

View Full Version : Acid cleaner that works????

markct
02-12-2017, 08:39 AM
So I have been using different acid pan cleaner over the years both maple and dairy ones, all seem to work about the same, and that's not real well. Seems my pans keep developing crap that is incredibly hard to touch around the waterline on the sides, even in the float box. Been soaking and brushing and nothing. Don't want to use abrasives as I know that scratches it up. What do you guys do I can't be the only person with this trouble. They are modern welded pans so I can be pretty aggressive with acid it's not like old soldered 400 series pans.

jmayerl
02-12-2017, 08:44 AM
Have you tried permeate and a small pump to circulate it, works well for me.

markct
02-12-2017, 08:57 AM
I did do the permeate thing, and left it running circulating from a 55 gallon drum for a week while my spare front pan was on, did a bit but not really anymore than the acid did, almost less. Again it does ok on the bottom boiling surface but won't take off the stuff on the sides etc. And the stiffest nylon brushes won't touch it, there has to be a better way!

wiam
02-12-2017, 10:01 AM
I usually drain pan, put permeate in and heat it up. Then circulate overnight. Seems to work better than cold.

markct
02-12-2017, 10:31 AM
15413 15413like this for example15413, 15413bottom came clean but this stubborn residue will not budge, this is the float box between pans

mellondome
02-12-2017, 10:36 AM
How often to you clean your pans?

Super Sapper
02-12-2017, 12:22 PM
If the acid does not get it clean, try some caustic cleaner. If it is from defoamer acid will not clean it but a caustic should.

SeanD
02-12-2017, 12:42 PM
I have the same problem and have had the same results. Vinegar, pan cleaner, and PBW all do a very good job of getting the niter off the bottom and under the liquid line to a mirror finish, but the sides stay like yours. It's worse in the front pan and worst in the last channel. I've also given it a direct hit with the power washer. Same result. It's stubborn scale that's different from the niter. I soak the front pan in vinegar between boils. I was hopeful of the permeate soak now that I have an RO, but hearing your experience, maybe not. At least it's the cheapest of all the options.

asknupp
02-12-2017, 01:18 PM
I'll swear to vinager and bar keepers friend. And a sponge.

markct
02-12-2017, 09:52 PM
I clean my front pan about once a week during the season depending on niter and how much I make, I admit for a while I been overlooking the sides not being entirely clean and it's continued to build up. What kinda caustic cleaner would I use and where do I get it?

Super Sapper
02-13-2017, 05:55 AM
I see that you have an RO and should have a caustic cleaner for that.

markct
02-13-2017, 06:59 AM
I don't know exactly what it is just that it's membrane soap, would that generally be caustic and what kind of ratio would you use?

markct
02-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Sodium hydroxide it is, any suggestions for a ratio?

markct
02-13-2017, 06:39 PM
Well my pan is sitting with about a half a spray paint capfull of ro soap mixed in with the water, scrubbed a bit and going to let it sit overnight. Sure hope it works it's so frustrating

Sugarbush Ridge
02-13-2017, 10:46 PM
I know everyone is talking about cleaning during the season. I mostly don't worry about that 'lime scale' look until end of season. I know you don't have time for this process, but at end of season fill your pan with the last,, sour sap and well above the 'lime scale line' and let set for 6 weeks or 2 months and let things sour and ferment, get ropy and nasty. It will stink to high heaven. A little brushing and water wash and all is like new. Just have to put up with smell.