PDA

View Full Version : Back Pan Leak

GSCampChris
02-11-2017, 06:56 PM
I have a leak around the joint that transfers from my back pan to my front float box. My welder is unable to get this done before weeks end and I am sitting on 200 gallons and with 50s this weekend may have another 400 before Tuesday. I tried to tie a rag around it during Friday Boil and sap ran into my fire box, killing the heat in my back pan and sending sugar up my smokestack... it was not good. We shut down the rig and finished what was close in our canner. Still ended up with 5 gallons for the day.

Is there a quick fix to hold over until I can get a welder in there? Better yet- something that will hold through the season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asknupp
02-11-2017, 09:06 PM
I think I would be looking for another person to weld it. Don't know your relationship with said welder but I had the same thing last week and I called till I found someone that could do it the next day. He did a good job and guaranteed it too. $30 and some syrup. Your losing money by waiting till end of the week. This might be our last good week. Temps look pretty high for the weekend.

Mark-NH
02-11-2017, 09:40 PM
High temp silicon?

GSCampChris
02-12-2017, 10:25 AM
I think I would be looking for another person to weld it. Don't know your relationship with said welder but I had the same thing last week and I called till I found someone that could do it the next day. He did a good job and guaranteed it too. $30 and some syrup. Your losing money by waiting till end of the week. This might be our last good week. Temps look pretty high for the weekend.

Oh no- there is no way I am waiting.... I am just trying to decide to try and get a welder in on Monday, and boil on Tuesday or patch it with a quick curing epoxy and boiling Monday. I have too much sap coming in to wait. My storage tanks are almost out of space!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sugarmaker
02-12-2017, 09:04 PM
Chris,
You may need to get real creative in trying to stop the leak? How bad is it? if you set a bucket under it how fast does it fill it?
Maybe take a pictures and post the problem someone might have a fix.
Made 5 gallons! Good for you!
Remember: If its not leaking or on fire, your probably not making syrup anyway!
Regards,
Chris

Dale Sparrow
02-14-2017, 04:14 PM
Maybe some JB weld. I used it on an old English tin pan that I used to run, worked great.