PDA

View Full Version : A new tubing tool -CORDLESS!

RileySugarbush
02-10-2017, 06:20 PM
I made a tubing tool for my first time installation of 3/16. Here is the first test on tensioned tubing:

https://youtu.be/CuCtQq7m6fo

Will be making drops and cutting them in tomorrow.

johnpma
02-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Ingenious!

325abn
02-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Nice. How much?

gmc8757
02-10-2017, 07:39 PM
I made a tubing tool for my first time installation of 3/16. Here is the first test on tensioned tubing:

https://youtu.be/CuCtQq7m6fo

Will be making drops and cutting them in tomorrow.

Wow! More detail please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RileySugarbush
02-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Inside the tube is an 3/8-16 threaded rod chucked into the Ryobi drill. Half right hand thread/ half left. Each has a coupling nut and there are some guides to keep them from spinning. The clamps are like a two hand tool. The aluminum tube has to be tied to the drill so it doesn't spin. Piece of plastic and a length of 2" pvc pipe and set screws does the trick. It was cheap to build but kind of time consuming to figure out the details. I have it working pretty well and will put in 40 drops tomorrow and see how it holds up. No plans to offer for sale but can share design when I get it fine tuned and drawn up.

Chickenman
02-10-2017, 09:16 PM
awesome dude. want one. I even have the right size turnbuckle kicking around.

MISugarDaddy
02-11-2017, 08:08 AM
John,
You had better patent that device.
Gary

GramaCindy
02-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Brilliant!

asknupp
02-11-2017, 08:51 AM
That is the second idea I have seen on here that should be patented. People are getting creative and really should think about seeking a patent. Most are already lugging their drills through the woods along with various tubing tools and surely this would aleviate one tool. The other idea is Pat's come filter holder. Good job guys!

Urban Sugarmaker
02-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Yes a patent is good, but also very expensive. You would definitely need a Canadian patent as well. I think you can get a provisional patent pretty inexpensively but you only have a year after that to finalize the patent, and that's where the cost is. Attorneys of course.

And I almost forgot...Nice work.

madmapler
02-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Definitely look into a patent. I'd hate to see your talent and hard work exploited by someone undeserving. Maybe you could simply sell your idea to one of the big guys. There's certainly enough evidence in this post to show that it's your baby. It would likely damage a reputable company's image to simply steal it. Based upon the replies so far, this thread could help you promote your product. Well done.

DrTimPerkins
02-11-2017, 09:46 AM
You had better patent that device.

The law changed in the U.S. a few years back (March 2013) to better align with almost every other country in the world. U.S. used to be "first to invent" system for patent applications. Now it is "first inventor to file", so basically you don't want to disclose anything about an invention you are considering patenting until AFTER you've filed an application, unless you have everyone you tell sign a non-disclosure agreement.

mike103
02-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Nice rig, when does mass production start?;)

RileySugarbush
02-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the kind words! I really like this, and can already think of a couple of improvements, but it will get the first real test in a couple of hours.

I am plenty familiar with patents and I had no intention of patenting this idea. As the good Dr. says, I have disclosed the invention. It is almost impossible to patent after you do that, for the inventor or even someone who copies it. The idea is now in the public domain and anyone is welcome to build one, even build and sell them. I made this to make my job easier and because I like solving problems, not to try an make a business of building gadgets. If 20 people wanted them maybe my son's would want to build a batch, but making these one at a time would be kind of time consuming.

Marcus
02-11-2017, 01:58 PM
That is so neat I keep looking at this video over and over.

RileySugarbush
02-11-2017, 03:57 PM
We just cut in all our drops and the tool worked great. One of the best things is surprisingly that after you clamp the tube you can pull the tubing apart about 1/4" and it holds that tension. Touch it with a box cutter and it almost snaps apart. Very easy to cut! Worst part is aligning the tee to the tubing and even that isn't bad since you can adjust the position and it holds it. I don't have good depth perception so alignment is a trick for me. Im really happy with it.

gmc8757
02-11-2017, 05:27 PM
That is so neat I keep looking at this video over and over.

Same here, I've definitely watched it a few times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sappytapper
02-14-2017, 08:04 AM
Add me to the list of folks interested in any sort of sketches or drawings/plans you might be able to share on this! Nice work! As a fellow tinkerer, I love seeing this kind of stuff. :-)

SognSyrup
02-14-2017, 09:47 AM
BRILLIANT. Sign me up for one.

DMF
02-14-2017, 10:32 AM
Very nice!