PDA

View Full Version : Drill bits

Gratefulmaple
02-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Do people use comercial tapping bits or regular bits from the hardware store. The last few years I've used a new bit from the hardware store at the beginning of each season. Just curious what you all do.

mellondome
02-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Maple tapping bits.

Woodsrover
02-10-2017, 07:02 PM
The right bits make a big difference and clean the hole better than ordinary bits. I'm a convert.

madmapler
02-10-2017, 08:40 PM
After using a tapping bit, you wouldn't waste your time on a conventional bit unless you were just doing a few taps.

Mille705
02-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Tapping bit

maple flats
02-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Tapping bit. Use it for nothing else and it will far outlast a hardware bit. Yes they are pricey but are worth every cent, do a far better job. I get anywhere from 1000 up to about 2000 holes on a single tapping bit.

hansel
02-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Do you think a tapping bit is worth it for the backyarder doing 25-30 taps/year?

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Do you think a tapping bit is worth it for the backyarder doing 25-30 taps/year?

Given that it would last decades at that level of tapping......why not? Think of everything else you have spent $30 on. It makes it easier to drill, you won't be disappointed.

johnallin
02-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Hansel,
A decent tapping bit is $12.50 from Maple Guys (sponsors of this site) http://www.mapleguys.com/product/TBHSNC.html. I use a tapping bit because it's a small part of our expenses on a seasonal basis.. Now if you're only doing 25 trees or so, and you're going into bags or milk jugs; it may not make sense. There are lots of people who started with,and still use, regular bits with good results. Just try to drill straight with no wobble and you should have a round hole. Don't overdrive your taps in and you shouldn't experience any splits. If your taps are leaking around the edges, give em' another light tap the next time you're by.
And remember; the best bit in the world is only as good as the person running the drill motor.

johnpma
02-12-2017, 07:51 AM
And remember; the best bit in the world is only as good as the person running the drill motor. sound advise right here

Gratefulmaple
02-18-2017, 05:48 PM
Picked up a tapping bit this week thanks all for your input.

psparr
02-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Once you go tapping bit you'll never go back.

Gratefulmaple
02-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Had a friend helping tapping today and I started tapping after them and drilled 2 holes and bam the bit broke off.any one else have this happen or did I get a defected one? I'm kinda disappointed.

johnpma
02-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Had a friend helping tapping today and I started tapping after them and drilled 2 holes and bam the bit broke off.any one else have this happen or did I get a defected one? I'm kinda disappointed. Please post a picture of the broken bit......I'd like to see what these "tapping bits" are made of

Gratefulmaple
02-20-2017, 01:09 PM

johnpma
02-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Interesting looks like it's cobalt based on the break which is a hard brittle metal. I'm assuming it was a torsion or spiral break at the base of the flutes by the looks of the picture. I think I would at least call the place you bought it and ask. They don;'t give those "tapping bits" away.

I altered a 5/16" high speed steel bit drilled 85 holes Saturday no problem. Even managed to cut my thumb pretty good on the flutes at the end of the day so I must say it stayed sharp.

Does the bit seem heavy for it's size?

Gratefulmaple
02-20-2017, 04:07 PM
I'd say it's pretty comparable to other drill bits. It's from a leader dealer. I'll call them later once I'm back from the woods.

adk1
02-20-2017, 05:42 PM
I have the Canadian tapping bits think I got them from bascom. But any bit made for maple I am sure is good

johnallin
02-20-2017, 08:42 PM
The maple bit I have is super aggressive. As such, if your not careful, before you know it; it will just screw itself right into the tree and stall the drill. I find that I have to concentrate on holding it back a bit while drilling and be ready to withdraw pretty quickly. Maybe your drill motor has too much torque and it just snapped the bit.

Ivyacres
02-21-2017, 01:23 PM
I thought I had some good bits and they worked ok. I tried a tapping bit this year( yeah I paid the big bucks) and I am very satisfied with the results. It does a great job pulling all the wood out of the hole and is fast. As far as a bit breaking while drilling a tree, it should never happen. It had to be a bad bit if all else is equal.(not damaged some other way)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-22-2017, 06:51 AM
Use a piece of 5/16 tubing or something to act as a drill stop or yes they are very sharp and aggressive and can pull the drill bit in to the chuck in about 1/2 second if you are not experienced. Key is to keep hands steady and 2 hands is better than one. Not only do you not want to break the bit but you also want a perfectly round hole. I can't remember every breaking a tapping bit and I have been using them for many years.

The maple bit I have is super aggressive. As such, if your not careful, before you know it; it will just screw itself right into the tree and stall the drill. I find that I have to concentrate on holding it back a bit while drilling and be ready to withdraw pretty quickly. Maybe your drill motor has too much torque and it just snapped the bit.

Sue @ Battel's Sugar Bush
03-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Commercial tapping bit. They're not too costly and you want a clean, healthy hole that doesn't invite bacteria to close it up too quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghs57
03-03-2017, 11:26 AM

Agreed. I have to use the low speed on the drill, and brace against the tree, otherwise the bit may go right on through :lol: Very clean cut, and provides an excellent seal for the taps. It's reserved for tapping only, and this is the second year used. Canadian, from Bascomes.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Tapping bits do better ran on high speed which is what they are designed to be used. Takes about 1.5 seconds or less per hole. Run the bit in to desired depth or until it hits the drill stop and keep it running on high speed while it is at desired depth and pull bit back out while never slowing down drill.

maple flats
03-03-2017, 07:07 PM
I don't think I have ever broken a tapping bit, but this year my brother in law broke 2, and I've had other workers break them. I think it's a matter of allowing the torque of the drill to cause the drill to move sideways and the sideways pressure causes the bit to break. I use 2 hands and I brace one elbow against the tree. I have a 5/16 piece of tubing on the bit as a stop, once in and straight back out without stopping the drill, all on high speed. Works for me.

wurmdert
03-03-2017, 07:49 PM
I have broken two in past years. Once I let the battery go to low in drill. The other time my snowshoe slipped while drilling. The smaller .225 bits im using this season are probably a little more fragile, my tapping help broke 2 mostly do to first time driller technique lol

Gratefulmaple
03-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Got a new bit and it's working great so far. I'm happy with it.

Ghs57
03-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Credit where credit is due:

Based on suggestions made here, I set my drill bit up with piece of 5/16 tubbing as a stop at about 1.5 inches deep. It worked great. Keeps the drill from going too deep, and running at high speed cleans out the hole very nicely. And less of a fight with the drill when it digs in because it will stop at 1.5 inches. Thanks for the suggestions.

Now off the trees would only run, we'ed really have something here.