PDA

View Full Version : Making syrup in my classroom- need boiling pots.. MIDCOAST MAINE

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
02-10-2017, 09:22 AM
I have been making syrup as part of my elementary school classroom for the last 6 years. We used spouts and buckets- this is the most hands on way for children to learn. It really allows them to be a part of the process and learn. We use the sandbox to boil down the sap- I am in desperate need of new pots- the only ones I can find online cost way too much in shipping. We boil on open flames so the boiling pots need to be large or the process is too slow. It is a very grassroots/homegrown method and the children love it.
We usually make between 11-17 gallons of syrup, someday we will get a grant to expand the program but for now
ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU CAN GIVE ME FOR BOILING POTS WOULD BE GREAT.
IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE SAP IN SCHOOL PROGRAM IN ACTION VISIT:
http://bugsmudbooksandsticks.com/sap-in-school/

gmcooper
02-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Any chance you have enough budget for a used barrel evaporator or a 1/2 pint. They would be a big improvement over pots. I know some have used steam pans to boil. Larger surface area. There are quite a few small evaporators around that are no longer in use. Maybe an ad describing what you are doing at school might get a donated unit?

boondocker
02-11-2017, 07:40 PM
Like gmcooper said, a barrel evaporator or a half pint evaporator would be a great step up in efficiency. A brand new half pint evap would run about $1200 and that would be for a new one, there are always people upgrading. You would be able to pick up a good used one for 500 to 800. If that's still off the radar try going to a restaurant supply store and ask if they have some deep hotel pans. There is a restaurant supply in brewer and another one in Newport. I go there and get things on occasion, I bought a BUNN coffee maker there that I use to bottle my glass bottles, almost every thing there is. Dry reasonably priced but make sure you get stainless and not aluminum. Best of luck this season with you and your kiddos.

eustis22
02-13-2017, 07:20 AM
I'm thinking if he can't afford pots an evaporator is way out of reach. Based on his pics I have no clue where he would get something that size....an old 2X4, 3X5 batch pan? I will keep an eye out.

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
02-14-2017, 01:44 PM
It is my Post....thanks for the replies.
The school would by can spend between 5-800 for a used one but I have not seen any in that price range..please let me know if you see an evap. in that price range and I am in.

Thanks for all of your help.
The key is to keep it so that children can do a great deal of the work. I feel it is important for children to know the process and see the work that goes into the process...t

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
02-14-2017, 01:45 PM
yes, we could buy a used one but I have not seen any in that price range and have asked every year on this page for suggestions/donations of used equipment. Keep me informed if you see a used one. Thanks.

morningstarfarm
02-14-2017, 03:54 PM
Hey, check bascoms web page under used pans..plenty of choices there for a few hundred bucks..they are open for negotiation as well..then build a cinder block arch for it..that will get you through the season for cheap...that is what i use for the maple program i run at my sons school...

BAP
02-15-2017, 02:50 PM
I don't know if you check craigslist, but here is a link to an economical first evaporator.
https://nh.craigslist.org/for/5976003371.html

gmcooper
02-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Bugsmud....I sent you a PM.

Mark B
05-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Pm'd you Bugsmud