PDA

View Full Version : Excessive niter

BnSmaple
02-10-2017, 06:12 AM
In the process of growing our operation we are having problems with how to manage niter build up in the front pan. I have a 5x14 force 5 arch and a cross flow front pan. I get excessive niter buildup in my back channel no matter where I draw off so switching sides does not release the niter. I concentrate sap to 18-20 percent. On big days the niter starts to scorch.after every boil the front pan is cleaned with acid. Any insight or help would be appreciated

BnSmaple
02-13-2017, 08:37 AM
Anyone else have a force 5 I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to swap out pans but have never seen it done mid boil on a Wood fired rig. Anyone have any pointers for the pan swap?

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-13-2017, 02:55 PM
I was just going to say it sounds like you need a 2nd set of pans so you can change mid boil. Wood fired probably trickier than the oil fired we do, have to wait for cool down. Do one pan at a time. We dump each pan individually into the press tank then pump back in to the new pan on the rig. Do all 3 and roll again....only takes about 20 minutes on oil fired rigs.